Any experience with the MagTool DC Nano Skimmer?

Pembro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found out that in EU this same skimmer is rebranded under the "FZONE" name. I had the same for few months now and the only issue I found was that it is quite difficult to tune at the beginning. Once the right water level and airflow is found it can skim drier or wetter very reliably (here in the pic you can see the pitch dark skimmate I produce with mine in 5-6 days. I cannot compare with more expensive ones because it is the first one I own but I can say it seem to do it's job on a 32g nano.

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-09 at 20.06.03.jpeg

Pembro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found out that in EU this same skimmer is rebranded under the "FZONE" name. I had the same for few months now and the only issue I found was that it is quite difficult to tune at the beginning. Once the right water level and airflow is found it can skim drier or wetter very reliably (here in the pic you can see the pitch dark skimmate I produce with mine in 5-6 days. I cannot compare with more expensive ones because it is the first one I own but I can say it seem to do it's job on a 32g nano.

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-09 at 20.06.03.jpeg
That looks a lot like the one I just got. I have not set it up yet. Any Tips on tuning?

Attachments

• B238FC7D-7A78-437C-94D6-9E879604D31F.jpeg
    B238FC7D-7A78-437C-94D6-9E879604D31F.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 110

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks a lot like the one I just got. I have not set it up yet. Any Tips on tuning?
Yes that's the one. I tried for months to tune it in by "screwing" the bottle for increasing or decreasing the water level but it never worked. What actually made the difference was to start placing the skimmer at the correct depth (20 cm from the pump base to the water surface). Then I rotated the bottle to get the bottom of the foaming bubbles more or less at the same height as the base of the collection cup. Finally increase or decrease height from (external) water surface by 1 cm (if you want to skim drier move up, if wetter move down). In this way it seemed easier to me to find the sweet spot. It takes a while to show the difference in skimming after you modify the height.

Pembro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's the one. I tried for months to tune it in by "screwing" the bottle for increasing or decreasing the water level but it never worked. What actually made the difference was to start placing the skimmer at the correct depth (20 cm from the pump base to the water surface). Then I rotated the bottle to get the bottom of the foaming bubbles more or less at the same height as the base of the collection cup. Finally increase or decrease height from (external) water surface by 1 cm (if you want to skim drier move up, if wetter move down). In this way it seemed easier to me to find the sweet spot. It takes a while to show the difference in skimming after you modify the height.

thanks for the reply. Gonna set it up this weekend. It had awesome reviews on Amazon.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seconding all the people that have bought what looks like an upgrade magtool. Here is the link to the one I purchased:

This thing rocks. very solid build and the dc pump makes it super easy to dial in. The collection cup is also decently sized for a nano skimmer. I will have to test it to see how often I need to clean it.
1666205936889.png

Been running for about 12-18 hours now. This won't fit in the desktop IM back chambers. I have it currently in my hob refugium. Unfortunately the IM chambers are just too small. I believe this will fit in some the other AIO chambers. I also don't have it hanging on anything. I slapped some feet onto the pump stand and it stood up fine by itself. Seems like the water level in my HOB fuge is perfect for its function

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
that is a shame this skimmer will not fit the IM AIO.
seconding all the people that have bought what looks like an upgrade magtool. Here is the link to the one I purchased:

This thing rocks. very solid build and the dc pump makes it super easy to dial in. The collection cup is also decently sized for a nano skimmer. I will have to test it to see how often I need to clean it.
1666205936889.png

Been running for about 12-18 hours now. This won't fit in the desktop IM back chambers. I have it currently in my hob refugium. Unfortunately the IM chambers are just too small. I believe this will fit in some the other AIO chambers. I also don't have it hanging on anything. I slapped some feet onto the pump stand and it stood up fine by itself. Seems like the water level in my HOB fuge is perfect for its function

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a shame this skimmer will not fit the IM AIO.
I agree, I would probably run the Tunze 9001 sideways if I had to fit it in a IM back chamber. That was my back up plan before putting the cpr hob fuge on this tank. The eshopps nano skimmer and those other smaller tube format ones just seem like a pain to deal with. Both with dealing with the adjustment and how often you would need to clean based on how small they are.

tinyfellows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1666205936889.png

Do you know if they sell just the dc pump bought a Magtool that’s ac but would love a dc pump

Jphoadley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based off this post and a couple similar, I bought the Magtool skimmer off the link in OP.

I received it from Amazon Prime the next day, altho I did receive a slightly different model than Amazon shows. Says its good for 80 gallons on the box (good thing for me as I have a 50 gal tank), it has a 6 watt DC pump. It did not come with any instructions but was incredibly easy to figure out how to put it together, took a couple minutes, no tools necessary.
It does fit in the 2nd chamber of my AIO Lagoon 50, but only after I removed the screws that hold the hanging clip on on. It is so snug without the screws that it is squeezed into place and doesn't seem seem to move on its own. It has only been a day so needs a little break-in and tuning, but after the 1st night, I did already have about 1/4" of wet green skimmate.

The box for the one i received is model # REEF-80IN and is actually EXACTLY exactly like this one however without the little black controller.

Early on I would say it is a steal for $79 I paid, and the 2nd one with the controller looks to be an equally good deal with the little controller for $99. Will try and remember to update after a I get her dialed in.

skimmer.jpg

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the nano one and have been having the hardest time getting the thing to skim correctly. Managed to get it skimming well for like a few hours and then the skim head randomly went down and it stopped skimming properly. Will have to play with it more this weekend but it seems pretty finnicky. I prefer a much drier and gunky skim though so maybe that's just me.

jcmental

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have a dud, I’ve just bought one off a guy on eBay un opened for my nano tank. It’s noisy as hell. My TMC 200 is silent compared to this AIO-70P

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 51 34.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 39 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back