Any experience with this fish?

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 6.17.47 PM.png

I really love the way these look and im willing to take the time to wean it on to frozen. any one have experience with this fish? why is it expert only?

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No personal experience with that particular fish but its species usually are hard to keep and require a group to survive better. Maybe someone else can chime in.

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NYA has one for a lot less fwiw if you prefer them over dd. If you've kept leopards before this species is not much different than the rest, similar to potters (m. geoffroy) and black (m. negrosensis). The whole genus are particularly bad shippers so keep that in mind and inspect closely especially for mouth damage upon arrival.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NYA has one for a lot less fwiw if you prefer them over dd. If you've kept leopards before this species is not much different than the rest, similar to potters (m. geoffroy) and black (m. negrosensis). The whole genus are particularly bad shippers so keep that in mind and inspect closely especially for mouth damage upon arrival.
thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info! I appreciate it!
Another similar wrasse in price and behavior is choat's leotard m. choati, maybe some more info on that one. The only leopards I wouldn't compare this to are m. ornatus or m. moyeri, the former being larger and somewhat easier to keep, the latter being more similar to halichoeres than macropharyngodon imo.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 6.17.47 PM.png

I really love the way these look and im willing to take the time to wean it on to frozen. any one have experience with this fish? why is it expert only?
Technically, it's Halichoeres lapillus. When Jack Randall described the species, he was initially thinking it was a Macropharyngodon as well. However, one of the key characteristics of that genus is the presence of pharyngeal teeth - which are in the throat. None of his lapillus specimens had them, so into Halichoeres it went. The official description paper has it as Halichoeres lapillus. It's still believed that it is an ancestral species to the Macropharyngodon genus.

It's an "expert only" for the same reasons that all Macropharyngodon wrasses are considered such, although this species is a bit easier than the genus norm.
@evolved might be able to help. Beautiful fish
I do have 4 of them...
require a group to survive better
But I don't necessarily agree with that.
Another similar wrasse in price and behavior is choat's leotard m. choati, maybe some more info on that one. The only leopards I wouldn't compare this to are m. ornatus or m. moyeri, the former being larger and somewhat easier to keep, the latter being more similar to halichoeres than macropharyngodon imo.
I definitely wouldn't compare it to a choati - which is by far the most difficult Macropharyngodon.
The juvenile form of lapillus is very similar to M. pakoko, which would actually make it pretty similar to meleagris and geoffroy, genetically.
Being that lapillus has always found its way in limbo between the two genera, it's difficulty is also right there along with that. A bit more challenging than the average Halichoeres, but easier than the average Macropharyngodon.

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought choati were one of the easier macropharyngodon, so that's good to know. I think some leopards are easier than some halichoeres...h. iridis for example are rather difficult. Good info on this being h. lapillus.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically, it's Halichoeres lapillus. When Jack Randall described the species, he was initially thinking it was a Macropharyngodon as well. However, one of the key characteristics of that genus is the presence of pharyngeal teeth - which are in the throat. None of his lapillus specimens had them, so into Halichoeres it went. The official description paper has it as Halichoeres lapillus. It's still believed that it is an ancestral species to the Macropharyngodon genus.

It's an "expert only" for the same reasons that all Macropharyngodon wrasses are considered such, although this species is a bit easier than the genus norm.

I do have 4 of them...

But I don't necessarily agree with that.

I definitely wouldn't compare it to a choati - which is by far the most difficult Macropharyngodon.
The juvenile form of lapillus is very similar to M. pakoko, which would actually make it pretty similar to meleagris and geoffroy, genetically.
Being that lapillus has always found its way in limbo between the two genera, it's difficulty is also right there along with that. A bit more challenging than the average Halichoeres, but easier than the average Macropharyngodon.
thank you very much for your input! im considering one for my tank. Do you know of a good process to wean them onto frozen?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you very much for your input! im considering one for my tank. Do you know of a good process to wean them onto frozen?
I didn't have any issue with that, and mine came semi-direct from a collector. All 5 easily ate whatever I offered. (the fifth one went to a friend, who still has it as well)

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the mouth is in tact they should readily take food. Can try live black worms if they're picky at first, but I've never had trouble getting healthy leopards to eat lrs or mysis and they eventually take pellets like the rest of my wrasses. Even then they may eat with damage if the food is right, I just had a halichoeres timorensis with bad lower jaw damage, was a good eater pre damage, ate through the injury and healed within a few weeks.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, haven’t seen a lapillus on DD in a long time. Last time I did, I bought it :D. That was close to 5 years ago and it’s still going strong. Same day there was a Vivien - always wished I’d bought that too. Haven’t seen one of those since.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back