Any feedback from AQUACHAR users?

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to add some to my system today.
Have you read any of the FB users feedback yet? They indicated it last for months, your water will look clean and you won't need to wipe the glass as often. I'll know soon.

OP
OP
B

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The local rep and a few of his friends swear by it. I am concerned over potential Ph being too elevated as brought up by a local aquarium store guy.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please forgive me, but I’m a bit skeptical here. Can you explain how a carbon can “stabilize “ PH? Does it raise or lower it? What ph is it expected to stabilize at? What happens when combined with other methods that also stabilize ph (soda lime & kalkwasser)?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The local rep and a few of his friends swear by it. I am concerned over potential Ph being too elevated as brought up by a local aquarium store guy.

I’m not surprised the local Aquachar Rep swore by it, lol.

I talked to a few vendors at the show, all of which suggested I toss it for just being another gimmick.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard the pitch at MACNA this year. Assuming true, it is compelling enough for longevity alone.

But how do we know when carbon is exhausted? Anybody know? Serious question.

Anyone? Bueller?

I don't expect we'll get many answers. I asked the same questions I asked above on a facebook post that was made about this product. The products seller directed me (and the other people asking questions) to their website, which is short on details. I was optimistic, but now I'm thinking it's just marketing of another carbon...

James Kanouff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using it! I volunteered at MACNA as the Volunteer coordinator this year. At the show is where I was first introduced to the AQUACHAR product. Samples were donated to be included in the gift bags this year, and the various volunteers were also given several samples to try which is how I came across it. I have a 550 gallon mixed reef among other tanks that is 5 yrs old this fall. As a successful tank owner, I consider my understanding above average and employ several old school mehtods as well as new technology in my filtration which include things like minimum water changes, a Sulphur denitrator and venturi skimming, occasional H202 supplementation, and Apex monitoring. I am the local Fish club president for 2020 and Vp for 2019 as well as a long standing board member and we bring in speakers such as late Albert Thiel and DR Craig Bingman and even Mr saltwater Mark callahan to speak with our members about our marine hobby. I listened to the information Aqua Char had on their product and the distinction to me is how its made VS other carbon products. The most interesting part I think is that they are seeing a significant Ph buffering effect while also binding pollutants in the water. I immediately felt this was of the most value as many hobbyist are recently attributing failures to high C02 in their homes suppressing the Ph in the tanks and hindering Coral growth and water chemistry stability. I myself can testify to this occurrence. Mostly from pouring in various levels of KALK in my ATO to try n offset the C02 induced Ph issues and thus driving my ALK levels crazy. I can post in length to that elsewhere but the out come back then was give up n move the tank away from C02!
Eventually I moved all my tanks to my separated garage and have seen drastic improvements in stability and growth now that the inhabitants in my home are not artificially reducing the Ph in my aquariums thru respiration and influx of C02 into my water. I used KALK, I used fresh air to skimmer, I used forced air thru sofnolime "c02 scrubber" to skimmer and found all to be too costly or unreliable to fix my C02 issues. I believe there is some good testing going on elevated ph Vs growth by BRS TV soon to be released. I am trying the product on my only indoor softies anenome clowns tank " it is significantly ph reduced 7.3-7.7 max daily observed", as well as in my 550 in the garage at this time. Most certainly there is a measurable and lasting Ph increase effect as well as water clarity improvements as they claim. Because I am only at a few weeks after Starting, I can't say how long I think the effect lasts but it has already shown to be better than the alternatives and much less costly. For someone who can't take out the C02 from their home this is in my opinion a must have and it comes with the added value of water clarity improvements as well. I would not suggest large quantities more than what is needed to sufficiently buffer your personal tank for a change interval of say 30-60 days maybe. I would suggest you maybe used the change 50% this month 50% next month method common in the hobby to make sure you don't get swings in chemistry. I think they are setting up there web site to accommodate automatic shipping and so forth as they get established in our industry and as we end users ask. I rinsed the product in RODI several times as I would with any carbon and put it into a one liter down flow canister on medium flow 100 gallons an hour ish and that is how its been for 16 days. I have no issues, saw no negative effects, and can say I observed a small increase in polyp extension almost immedialty first 30 minutes likely due to the reduction of pollutants in the water. I think they are doing ICP testing as well as other trusted sources for independent confirmation of some of these observations. That info will prove alot I think. We don't want adverse effects like any weird leaching or absorption of needed elements or anything of course, and that is yet to be independently researched but I can't find anyone who will say its going to be an issue. The product has been used for a year ish on tanks I think already and observations are quantified. I there fore do recommend the product for a subsittue for CARBON and more interesting as an alternate or supplement to KALK and other common methods for C02 reduction Ph stabilization in the reef tank. I can't for certain say the change out schedule or the quantity I would recommend other than follow the recommendations for your size system. This is my private unsolicited experience and current opinion on AquaCHAR after the questions I ask and the observations I see. The aqua Char folks are super nice and eager to talk about the product. I'm not a doctor or a professional, I'm a hobbyist who is excited about this new product and want to help document the product and its recent debut to our hobby. I'm very curious to other folks opinions on this lets keep the discussion going.

James Kanouff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard the pitch at MACNA this year. Assuming true, it is compelling enough for longevity alone.

Anyone? Bueller?
I think some folks with Apex monitoring could post 1 day - 15 -30-60 days PH on a recommended dose, and keep in mind that things like water changes adding new kalk to the kalk stirrer or other items also effect Ph but in general we could maybe see an observed effect or only a short effect pretty clearly. Water clarity I don't think there is any dispute on that and a white bucket test is easy to confirm. All these should have official claims/ confirmation by independent testing and I think it is a work in progress they said. Obviously the stuff can't last forever I think. A small piece is not gonna treat a 200 gallon tank. But considering the cost of it and simplicity of it "drop it in a bag in the sump", and a reasonable exchange schedule for it 30 days, it likely will prove cost effective. We will find out I guess.

I'm not aware of any carbon company marketing their carbon buffers PH? Anyone else?

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked this stuff up because I had no idea what it was. Looks like the charcoal bits I used to have in my orchid potting mix. You can get 1qt for 8.99.

Edit: Link didn't post. Here it is again: Link to Amazon

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horticulture charcoal is very soft, I wouldn't recommend putting it in your tank. I think this is why in the how-to use documentation it says to use very low flow. Also, $140 for 8 cups of horticulture charcoal is a definite rip off.

James Kanouff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horticulture charcoal is very soft, I wouldn't recommend putting it in your tank. I think this is why in the how-to use documentation it says to use very low flow. Also, $140 for 8 cups of horticulture charcoal is a definite rip off.
Aqua char is hard. Must be different stuff. I have zero grinding or anything. Takes hard pressure to snap a piece in two manually for example.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua char is hard. Must be different stuff. I have zero grinding or anything. Takes hard pressure to snap a piece in two manually for example.

I don't mean soft in terms of mechanical strength. It is carbonized wood after all. Soft is in terms of surface hardness. This stuff will grind down into a dust very easily if it is allow to tumble. It's not like this stuff is new. Most activated carbon is a carbonized wood product, typically made from compressed coconut fibers. Use it if you want, but it is very obvious this is a scam.

Ricky Ricardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that would be true if it were a chemical reaction like with KALK - but thoroughly rinsing it before use would wash off anything that could cause any sudden spike in pH. What I believe AquaChar is doing to stabilize pH levels is to absorb some of the excess CO2. I know of several hobbyist that are using AquaChar as a CO2 scrubber by placing it in a tube connected to the air intake lins on their protein skimmers... interesting approach.

Ricky Ricardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please forgive me, but I’m a bit skeptical here. Can you explain how a carbon can “stabilize “ PH? Does it raise or lower it? What ph is it expected to stabilize at? What happens when combined with other methods that also stabilize ph (soda lime & kalkwasser)?
from what I understand is happening, pH levels are being reported on aquachar’s facebook page as rising to 7.6-7.8 in freshwater and 8.2-8.4 in reef tanks. the rise is gradual over a few days and then stabilizes - what’s surprising is how water becomes crystal clear within 1 day as people ate posting. That is probably due to AquaChar being more porous than other media. That said, keep doing what you're doing and let us know when you try it.

Ricky Ricardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not surprised the local Aquachar Rep swore by it, lol.

I talked to a few vendors at the show, all of which suggested I toss it for just being another gimmick.

I don't mean soft in terms of mechanical strength. It is carbonized wood after all. Soft is in terms of surface hardness. This stuff will grind down into a dust very easily if it is allow to tumble. It's not like this stuff is new. Most activated carbon is a carbonized wood product, typically made from compressed coconut fibers. Use it if you want, but it is very obvious this is a scam.
from what I understand aquachar has a structure similar to spiraled graphene and several hobbyist have been using it in tumblers for quite some time with no signs of breakdown. One thing I know for sure is tgat any compressed material will break down in a tumbler.

Anyone? Bueller?
when you begin to see visible particles floating in your otherwise clear water???

Last edited by a moderator:

Ricky Ricardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what i understand, aquachar is wood preserved in its original structure not compressed from dust like most activated carbons. It is also not activated with acid which would weaken its structure - acts more like graphene than charcoal. read only good things from hobbyist running it in tumblers and reactors

Ricky Ricardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would
I don't expect we'll get many answers. I asked the same questions I asked above on a facebook post that was made about this product. The products seller directed me (and the other people asking questions) to their website, which is short on details. I was optimistic, but now I'm thinking it's just marketing of another carbon...
what you like to know - see if i can get you some concrete answers.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back