Any fish breeders at R2R?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
54,884
Reaction score
122,533
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wondering if any of you breed fish or have had a go at it and what is your experience?

I would love to try and breed some clowns someday.
 
I'm planning on breeding my clown pairs, percs and clarkii, and my neon gobies some day. Just have to wait until they start laying eggs.

I half heartedly tried to raise my skunk cleaner shrimp's larvae. I scooped them out of my main tank when I saw them one night and put them into a 20 gallon that only has sand and LR in it. They lasted a little over 24 hours. I didn't have any live foods to feed them, so I wasn't expecting them to live long. I've read they are one of the hardest to raise, but there is one person on RC that has successfully raised some.
 
Breeding clowns seems to be reasonable. But raising the fry is where all the work comes from, We have a guy that breeds Occys and he say and I have seen it, that growing green water and rotifer is kinda a pain and a lot of work but MAN are the babieas cute!

So far he has had many succesful batches of Occys and has had Blacks lay, he also has picassos, trues, misbars and cinnamon that are all fat and happy, just a matter of time basically before they start also. I would suggest the Wilkersons Clownfish book, and I forget the name but there is a newer book that explains lots of breeding habits of many marine animals, that is very good also.

Alot of fun but way more work that Guppies. :rolleyes:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new