Any fish food that will make your fish glow?

reefscrub_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I’m new here.

Just have a quick question, is there any kind of fish food that will help bring more coloration and almost a glow to your fish?

I saw a really cool melanurus wrasse at my lfs that had glowing stripes, looked like neon stripes. I know it was under blue light but it was exaggerated. I have a melanurus under xr30 blue running ab+ that doesn’t look anything like that.

Thanks in advance!

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th environment & diet will definitely bring out brighter colors on the fish, lighting has lots to do with it too. Now the requirements of your fish & what surroundings it thrives in & keep your water healthy.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I don't believe any foods will enhance fish colors. I think it has more to do with overall health as mentioned above (environments, foods, genes)

But if someone were to believe such a thing, almost every package of pellet or flake food claims to enhance fish colors. I have 5 of them at home, all 5 claim to enhance the colors.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix in some of commercial prepared foods as they are alleged to have pigment enhancing stuff in them…I’d be lying if I had a clue to exactly what that stuff is …
uh erh Omega 8 …yeah Omega 8 ;)

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just good varied diet with some supplements or treats should get you there.

Things like selcon is great, as well as live/fresh food mixed in like worms, clams, nori, etc

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
carotenoids and astaxanthins can have some effect on the red pigmentation, astaxanthin is in a lot of the krill/ arctic copepod foods. there have been some studies on it i read once upon a time as well as a few articles on types of phyto plankton you can load up copepods on before feeding your fish that have a lot of those pigmentation enhancing compounds. i would have to look as i cant remember where/when i read that. here is one, but based on tilapia.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diet has lots to do with the colors a fish will display. For example ornamental angels like an emperor or blue face. If their diet is not adequate, the Angel will not morph from juvenile colors to full adult. Same goes with tangs that are not fed sea veggies, dull colors & usually will cause lateral line. So best to read up on the fish, its diet & environment to get its best coloration.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I’m new here.

Just have a quick question, is there any kind of fish food that will help bring more coloration and almost a glow to your fish?

I saw a really cool melanurus wrasse at my lfs that had glowing stripes, looked like neon stripes. I know it was under blue light but it was exaggerated. I have a melanurus under xr30 blue running ab+ that doesn’t look anything like that.

Thanks in advance!
My mel looks like that too! I feed a variety of frozen meats and greens to the tank and put selcon and another supplement in their food. His color is unreal!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back