Any Fish Suggestions?

stepho725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a sumpless 40B running into month two. I've got two clownfish, cleaner shrimp & snails & hermits. The clownfish seem like they're really feeling quite comfortable in their home and definitely think this entire tank is their territory. I was going to wait for my move to add new fish but I was thinking I might add them beforehand because my coral will need to get used to the bioload leftover from whatever the skimmer leaves behind right? I don't want to have a bunch of coral who are used to close to no bioload and then start dumping bioload on them. Although I'm hoping the skimmer will keep things stable. Fingers crossed.
Anyways: what is a good "second" fish to add now? I don't think I'm personally interested in the cardinals bc of how still they sit but otherwise I'm looking fwd to the suggestions. Thanks!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally, I like gobies, they are peacefull, and very colorful. My favorite right now is the purple firefish, I had a yellow watchman which i loved but he jumped the tank on me, I also have a yellow clown goby, but he always hides. But there are so many different ones, all super colorfull. Now I'm thinking about adding a neon goby to my tank

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a sumpless 40B running into month two. I've got two clownfish, cleaner shrimp & snails & hermits. The clownfish seem like they're really feeling quite comfortable in their home and definitely think this entire tank is their territory. I was going to wait for my move to add new fish but I was thinking I might add them beforehand because my coral will need to get used to the bioload leftover from whatever the skimmer leaves behind right? I don't want to have a bunch of coral who are used to close to no bioload and then start dumping bioload on them. Although I'm hoping the skimmer will keep things stable. Fingers crossed.
Anyways: what is a good "second" fish to add now? I don't think I'm personally interested in the cardinals bc of how still they sit but otherwise I'm looking fwd to the suggestions. Thanks!
hoe many fish do you plan on having?

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm good question. I guess maybe 6-8 depending on the sizes.
Ok. Since you didn’t specify what kinds of fish you can get, let me explain how I categorize fish.

1) bottom dwellers
2) cave dwellers
3) perchers
4) mid water fish
5) top water swimmers
6) wrasse

I wouldn’t recommend (2) or (6) because they are almost always territorial and may be aggressive. The rest I would be happy to give you some choices, if you can help me understand what other kinds of fish you want in your tank :)

OP
OP
S

stepho725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Since you didn’t specify what kinds of fish you can get, let me explain how I categorize fish.

1) bottom dwellers
2) cave dwellers
3) perchers
4) mid water fish
5) top water swimmers
6) wrasse

I wouldn’t recommend (2) or (6) because they are almost always territorial and may be aggressive. The rest I would be happy to give you some choices, if you can help me understand what other kinds of fish you want in your tank :)
Well I guess what I'm looking for in the second species in ensuring that it is not aggressive. I will have to wait until I get towards the end my not yet existent fish list if one of those end up appearing on it.
So I am looking for personality...something enjoyable to watch. I've had a small reef tank before but kept clown fish mostly but my favorite two fish i had which unfortunately had to be rehomed due to one or both(?) eating my coral were my mimic filefish and my horned blenny. Tons of personality. So I don't mind what level they swim on as long as they do show movement unlike what I've seen of the cardinals.
I've had some interest in Flame Hawkfish but idk if they will eat my shrimp. Bicolor Blenny? Maybe Midas Blenny although I feel they may be too big for my tank. A couple of people have mentioned Royal Grammas. And yes I'm interested in Gobies, a sand sifter goby maybe but I dont think my sand is established enough for one.
Thanks for your help! Hopefully I've not made it more confusing.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess what I'm looking for in the second species in ensuring that it is not aggressive. I will have to wait until I get towards the end my not yet existent fish list if one of those end up appearing on it.
So I am looking for personality...something enjoyable to watch. I've had a small reef tank before but kept clown fish mostly but my favorite two fish i had which unfortunately had to be rehomed due to one or both(?) eating my coral were my mimic filefish and my horned blenny. Tons of personality. So I don't mind what level they swim on as long as they do show movement unlike what I've seen of the cardinals.
I've had some interest in Flame Hawkfish but idk if they will eat my shrimp. Bicolor Blenny? Maybe Midas Blenny although I feel they may be too big for my tank. A couple of people have mentioned Royal Grammas. And yes I'm interested in Gobies, a sand sifter goby maybe but I dont think my sand is established enough for one.
Thanks for your help! Hopefully I've not made it more confusing.
This is perfect! I do not recommend hawkfish if you want any shrimp. If you already have a cleaner shrimp, it’ll be fine for a few weeks or so, but the hawkfish WILL EAT IT EVENTUALLY. 100%. I’m personally not a fan of the gramma, and the two most common types of cardinals bore me too. The Seal Cardinalfish are really cool tho, I saw some at my LFS and the way they move is unique.
As for personality, wrasse and Blennies are my go to. You shouldn’t get a wrasse until much later, but blennys are a great choice. I’d recommend the following blennies:
Harptail
Bi color
Tailspot
Midas (little one)
These are my fav blennys but all blennys are good choices I believe. Jawfish also have personality, I’d recommend the Blue spot above all else, but they are pricey. I personally have a dusky jawfish. Neon gobys or any of those small cleaner gobys are fun, mine is the smallest fish in my tank but also the boldest . I don’t recommend this fish for long term, but you can definitely keep a small leopard wrasse in your tank for several years, but it will outgrow it. I wouldn’t get two cause one will become a male, causing rapid growth and therefore will outgrow you tank quick. If you end up liking this recommendation, let me know so I can give you advice. Melgaris, ornate, blue star are the three most common species and the only ones I can give you advice on.

thefuz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the good advice above, I'm +1 jawfish but do you have substrate? If so, how deep? They dig burrows for themselves. Super fun to watch. Lots of personality.

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fan of the Royal Gramma Basslets as well as the Wetmorella family of wrasses
Also a real stunner is a Fathead Anthia

OP
OP
S

stepho725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the good advice above, I'm +1 jawfish but do you have substrate? If so, how deep? They dig burrows for themselves. Super fun to watch. Lots of personality.
I have sand that is likely an average of 1 inch deep ...would that be enough a jaw fish or a goby?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
firefish
anthias
flame angel
twin spot blenny-

OP
OP
S

stepho725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fan of the Royal Gramma Basslets as well as the Wetmorella family of wrasses
Also a real stunner is a Fathead Anthia
I like the look of the Grammas but not sure what to expect of them.
I will have to look into the Anthia but I thought they were schooling fish?
Thanks for sharing! Think I'm going to wait on a wrasse for now!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back