Any Fishless Frag Tanks Out There?

JeepinReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm obviously curious, is anyone running a fishless frag tank? Would you mind providing a description of your setup and general approach?

I've been running a fishless frag system for about two years and I haven't quite gotten it to the level I think it can achieve. This is primarily due to significant life events that resulted in periods of neglect. I'm also honing my overall husbandry techniques for the system.

Dipan Desai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my small frag tank. Its 16x16x6. My main display is 187g peninsula and for simplicity sake I just plumbed it directly to the display via a 1/2 in manifold. Not much flow but keeps water moving and parameters stable. No fish but I did thorw in a emerald crab, a couple hermits and a couple trochus snails.
20200316_132702.jpg

OP
OP
JeepinReefer

JeepinReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my small frag tank. Its 16x16x6. My main display is 187g peninsula and for simplicity sake I just plumbed it directly to the display via a 1/2 in manifold. Not much flow but keeps water moving and parameters stable. No fish but I did thorw in a emerald crab, a couple hermits and a couple trochus snails.
20200316_132702.jpg

Nice little system. Thanks for sharing! Anyone else going fishless?

@phokusonmi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im almost fishless because of ick. been afraid to add anything else. down to just 2 watchmen goby and a blue devil damsel

Attachments

• IMG_6239.mov
    2.3 MB
OP
OP
JeepinReefer

JeepinReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my fishless system. It's had ups and downs, but the past few weeks made me feel like I'm really on to something. It's a two lowboy system with a 40 breeder sump. Filter socks and skimmer. Big gyre for flow.

19C80169-974A-44BD-8EBF-307B7EF6DBCB.jpeg

Brice Wagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try the fishless frag tank as well. The benefit is that I can qt frags for ich before I put them in the dt.

I would like to see more posts here. Quality of the system, what clean up crew do they use? Algae control and critters. What nutrient do you supplement instead of fish? I was going to try acro power and red sea a b first.

MuscleBobBuffPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also going for a fishless frag system - building it with the peninsula 25 from Waterbox. I’ll be using an AI prime, mp10, and some rock from my main display. Want to set it up as a QT for my coral before they go into the main tank.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested in starting a fishless frag system. Would like to see how people are able to keep nutrients up with out having to dose a bunch. My only thought is to do water changes with my DT waste water.

MuscleBobBuffPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested in starting a fishless frag system. Would like to see how people are able to keep nutrients up with out having to dose a bunch. My only thought is to do water changes with my DT waste water.
I was just thinking of feeding reef chili and reef roids often, maybe dose if absolutely necessary?

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM Nuvo 30. Fishless.
B8954CB7-A011-4A53-BED4-EED24112877B.jpeg
Relatively inexpensive and simple setup.
IM 30 tank, 1 Nero 5, stock IM DC return, 2 bulb T5 fixture, no skimmer, some rock rubble and ceramic balls in the back chamber, filter floss changed about once a week.

Acropower and live phytoplankton twice a day. A couple Hikari crab pellets and algae wafers daily for the hermit crabs. TM Plus NP if the nutrients drop too low. Mix of reef roids, reef chili, phyton, and zooton whenever I remember which is usually once every 2 - 3 weeks. 5 mL of All for reef a couple of times a week or as needed. Manual water top off twice a day.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back