Any foxface experts? Is this normal coloration/behaviour?

daniel_mourra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello…. Ive had this foxface for about 10 months now. He eats GREAT. for the first 2-3 months i had him he displayed his normal BRIGHT Yellow with black dot coloration but after about 2-3 months in the tank NEVER (not for one day) had his signature BRIGHT yellow color again… he only displays a brownish/slight VERY PALE yellow, blackish and whiteish colors even during the day.

I never saw anything wrong with him so i let it “be”….. UNTIL YESTERDAY he started displaying a VERY intense (beautifull) BRIGHT Yellow with SOLID top black pattern ontop…. (Not the balck spot) (See pictures)….. is this normal behaviour?

Is this because of age? Are juveniles diferent in yellow brightness? I dont think he is stressed as he has been without his bright yellow color for 7-8 months now UNTIL yesterday when i finally displayed his bright yellow again… but with this huge black stripe on top..

I dont know what to make of this… ant foxeface experts outhere? @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

IMG_8775.jpeg IMG_8774.jpeg IMG_8773.jpeg IMG_8772.jpeg IMG_8771.jpeg IMG_8770.jpeg IMG_8769.jpeg IMG_8768.jpeg IMG_8767.jpeg IMG_8766.jpeg IMG_8765.jpeg IMG_8764.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at my avatar picture, lol. Foxfaces will change coloration for all sorts of reasons. Mine often is a paler yellow with black/blotches in different places, and other times is bright yellow with either the black spot or black top like yours.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello…. Ive had this foxface for about 10 months now. He eats GREAT. for the first 2-3 months i had him he displayed his normal BRIGHT Yellow with black dot coloration but after about 2-3 months in the tank NEVER (not for one day) had his signature BRIGHT yellow color again… he only displays a brownish/slight VERY PALE yellow, blackish and whiteish colors even during the day.

I never saw anything wrong with him so i let it “be”….. UNTIL YESTERDAY he started displaying a VERY intense (beautifull) BRIGHT Yellow with SOLID top black pattern ontop…. (Not the balck spot) (See pictures)….. is this normal behaviour?

Is this because of age? Are juveniles diferent in yellow brightness? I dont think he is stressed as he has been without his bright yellow color for 7-8 months now UNTIL yesterday when i finally displayed his bright yellow again… but with this huge black stripe on top..

I dont know what to make of this… ant foxeface experts outhere? @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

IMG_8775.jpeg IMG_8774.jpeg IMG_8773.jpeg IMG_8772.jpeg IMG_8771.jpeg IMG_8770.jpeg IMG_8769.jpeg IMG_8768.jpeg IMG_8767.jpeg IMG_8766.jpeg IMG_8765.jpeg IMG_8764.jpeg
I had this type- looks like stress marks but will check on larger screen

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Larger screen and I now see what MAY be ich. Do I see dots also on Bi-color angel?
Please post a couple pics or even video under white light intensity

OP
OP
daniel_mourra

daniel_mourra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larger screen and I now see what MAY be ich. Do I see dots also on Bi-color angel?
Please post a couple pics or even video under white light intensity
No ich. They had ich before and the tank went fallow for 11 weeks… many tangs too in the tank and none with ich (hopefully) he is also not flashing or scratching… actually his behavour is absolutley normal.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No ich. They had ich before and the tank went fallow for 11 weeks… many tangs too in the tank and none with ich (hopefully) he is also not flashing or scratching… actually his behavour is absolutley normal.
Ok good - dots may be on glass of tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One question - does the coloration you're concerned about change during the day - because that definitely happens with many fish including FoxFaces. They are both pretty. If there is a new fish or something else in the tank - that can also cause 'stress' coloration

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until he goes full camo! Use a flashlight at night if you haven't seen this before. There will be no yellow anywhere

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until he goes full camo! Use a flashlight at night if you haven't seen this before. There will be no yellow anywhere
I know I’m really late to the party, but I assume “full camo” means this?

He is near impossible to see when lights are out, and he’s literally 6” from the front glass.

IMG_4693.jpeg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I’m really late to the party, but I assume “full camo” means this?

He is near impossible to see when lights are out, and he’s literally 6” from the front glass.

IMG_4693.jpeg
Yes

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish looks like a fire engine compared to my Foxface in "Full Camo." lol.

No, I wont post pictures because the fish is already a basket case. Interestingly, its color has improved a lot since I increased feeding rations. It's getting fat and happy and a lot more yellow during the day. Looks like a turd after the lights go out, but its a nice kind of turd so I don't want to flush it snapping photos.
camo GIF

:face-with-tears-of-joy: :cool:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back