Any Fully Quarantined Corals Sellers?

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worldwidecorals, top shelf aquatics, and Jason fox corals are some that i order from that i know have a qt process
I've received beautiful and healthy coral from WWC and TSA, but BOTH have shipped coral with Aptasia and Vermatid snails.

Not a Huge deal, but it always makes me laugh when I see their online adds "100% PEST FREE".

Maybe Fish disease pest free, but definitely not "100% PEST FREE".

I will give Jason Fox a try next.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Premier reefs QT's corals in a fallow tank to eliminate fish disease and all the fish are fully QT as well. He is slowly adding more coral to the list.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read up on Battlecorals. Everything that goes into his system has been extensively quarantined (Fish, inverts, and corals). Adam sells quite a few corals that he has developed in house. He also sells other people’s strains. If you think about it, someone who has a big aquaculture operation just cannot afford to have a coral come in with something that could run through their system like wildfire. I believe that any of the major, highly reputable would be fine. Most of them publish or describe their protocols. An easy way to avoid having to quarantine is to buy corals only from highly reputable aquaculture operations.

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dipping can only do so much, for example if the frags have aefw eggs than dipping can only get to the adults, but your still in trouble with the eggs. Also there’s a few pests that are super hard to see and can survive many different treatments in quarantine. If you get yourself a jewelry lense (vivosun), then you can easily analyze the coral frags. This is one of the best methods of prevention of pests. Also I know this is for coral vendors but I just want to share the lense it really helps me. For vendors coral euphoria has very clean acros, same with Sbb and ARC, haven’t found a single pest on any of those acros to date.

Once you've identified a pest with that lens, how do you actually manually deal with it and get it off the frag?

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Premier reefs QT's corals in a fallow tank to eliminate fish disease and all the fish are fully QT as well. He is slowly adding more coral to the list.

Yes. None of the coral is kept with fish in the systems at all. So, no wrasses to keept flatworms or nudibranchs at bay, but rather coral qt and dipping is super critical at ensuring they never enter the main systems at all.

Squidmotron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never quarantined any coral in 7 years and never got a fish disease from this practice.

Dipping the coral? yes.

thepotoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you've identified a pest with that lens, how do you actually manually deal with it and get it off the frag?
Throw the frag in the garbage and send a pic of the pest to the vendor. If they're good, they'll refund. If not, you never buy from them again. Tossing a $300 frag is cheap compared to fighting some of these pests.

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw the frag in the garbage and send a pic of the pest to the vendor. If they're good, they'll refund. If not, you never buy from them again. Tossing a $300 frag is cheap compared to fighting some of these pests.
Are there actually vendors who advertise they'll refund if you find pests? Or is that kind of just assumed and most vendors will honor that?

SunsetReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also interested in any vendor that does a true coral quarantine before shipping. Anyone have feedback from Dr. Reef? I put in my first fish order with them last week.
Bro...stay away!!!! i ordered 5 fish, desjardini sailfin, clown tang, orchid dottyback, magnificent foxface and a juvenile caribbean blue and a CUC replenish pack from this guy...once everything had been acquired and qt'd, he and i set up a day to ship. this was 3/23 via ups, ups picked the package up from him at 9 pm on Wednesday night, i dont know how he does his payment on shipping but according to UPS, payment didnt clear until thursday at midnight. this created a delay in shipping. I didnt get my package until friday...one dead clown tang, most of the CUC dead, a missing Foxface and caribbean blue later...oh, and i was sent a purple dottyback vs orchid.
I was steamed at this point...i shot off the DOA email for credit on the clown, an email once i figured out the dottyback was wrong...numerous phone calls, messages....NOTHING!!! then i call again, his VM changed to reflect he w was having health issues or something. I finally get an email back sunday stating the same...which fine, if you got life **** going one, a simple call or email saying well get right when im better works. Still, nothing...then he doesnt answer the phone Tues-Thurs.
Make your own mind up but after this BS...ill never deal with this guy again...no matter how straight he makes it. im still in the dark about where my missing fish are, the incorrect fish, the DOA, all of it.

SunsetReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was your experience with Dr Reef?
Bro...stay away!!!! i ordered 5 fish, desjardini sailfin, clown tang, orchid dottyback, magnificent foxface and a juvenile caribbean blue and a CUC replenish pack from this guy...once everything had been acquired and qt'd, he and i set up a day to ship. this was 3/23 via ups, ups picked the package up from him at 9 pm on Wednesday night, i dont know how he does his payment on shipping but according to UPS, payment didnt clear until thursday at midnight. this created a delay in shipping. I didnt get my package until friday...one dead clown tang, most of the CUC dead, a missing Foxface and caribbean blue later...oh, and i was sent a purple dottyback vs orchid.
I was steamed at this point...i shot off the DOA email for credit on the clown, an email once i figured out the dottyback was wrong...numerous phone calls, messages....NOTHING!!! then i call again, his VM changed to reflect he w was having health issues or something. I finally get an email back sunday stating the same...which fine, if you got life **** going one, a simple call or email saying well get right when im better works. Still, nothing...then he doesnt answer the phone Tues-Thurs.
Make your own mind up but after this BS...ill never deal with this guy again...no matter how straight he makes it. im still in the dark about where my missing fish are, the incorrect fish, the DOA, all of it.

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was your experience with Dr Reef?
@SunsetReefing
I'm also currently having issues with Dr Reef. Day I was supposed to get fish, radio silence. Then I finally get in touch and the package is shipped that day for next day arrival. The package was missing a fish. Phone had no voice mail. I sent an email and did not hear back for a week. The livestock I did get is good, but I am getting at the end of my patience with the lack of communication. They want to issue a credit but I don't think a credit is fair for a service not rendered. I am trying to get a refund for that one fish.

I got my corals from top shelf aquatics and tidal gardens with good results.

SunsetReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunsetReefing
I'm also currently having issues with Dr Reef. Day I was supposed to get fish, radio silence. Then I finally get in touch and the package is shipped that day for next day arrival. The package was missing a fish. Phone had no voice mail. I sent an email and did not hear back for a week. The livestock I did get is good, but I am getting at the end of my patience with the lack of communication. They want to issue a credit but I don't think a credit is fair for a service not rendered. I am trying to get a refund for that one fish.

I got my corals from top shelf aquatics and tidal gardens with good results.
I called my CC company and disputed the charge. I figure if you, as a vendor, treat your customers like garbage, then I have no choice but to make my voice heard through other mechanisms. The lack of communication has become painful at this point.

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called my CC company and disputed the charge. I figure if you, as a vendor, treat your customers like garbage, then I have no choice but to make my voice heard through other mechanisms. The lack of communication has become painful at this point.
I hope you get that refund. Your order was a bigger mess than mine. It's a shame Dr. Reef is having so many issues right now. I ordered two clowns from him before and I've had those fish for 7 months now and they have been perfect.

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what your goal of QT that coral is...
are you only concerned with coral pests or do you care about fish disease as well.
mid you only care about pests, then dipping is probably fine granted you get it from a reputable source.
if you are worried about fish diseases, then I don’t believe anyone does a true 76day QT in a fishless system.
most people who sell corals, have at least 1 or 2 fish in the systems for various reasons.
I have researched that LPS coral can be quarantined for 45 days in a fishless system at 80.6 degrees or higher to rid of coral pests and fish diseases. Learned this from Humblefish

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back