Any Fully Quarantined Corals Sellers?

KLaRue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number of sellers of quarantined fish has increased - and that’s a great trend to see as we try to have disease-free systems. I don’t have the means to have a quarantine system
But, are there any vendors of corals and other inverts out there?

Johnboy3886

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, I have tried to QT corals with little success. Would love to just buy corals that I don’t have to worry about. It’s seems counterproductive to spend money on QTd fish and then get corals or inverts that are not

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
I believe Tidal Gardens does a 3 step QT which takes a crazy amount of time. After the frag makes it, it then goes into one of the grow out takes to be fragged later. However I would still dip it.

I dip everything from everyone. I then change out the plug with a new one (I dont care it its already encrusted on the frag). You should see some of the crap that falls off from some big named vendors i have bought from. Also if you see a spot that is questionable just super glue over it. You should always QT and stick to that regiment. It's not worth getting Red bugs, Black bugs, Flatworms, or Zoa Spiders..

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Jason Fox quarantines very meticulously, does a long quarantine in one system, frags a small piece off, then does the same in a secondary system before it enters his main system. I believe Shane Backer (SBB Corals) has similar quarantine practices.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what your goal of QT that coral is...
are you only concerned with coral pests or do you care about fish disease as well.
mid you only care about pests, then dipping is probably fine granted you get it from a reputable source.
if you are worried about fish diseases, then I don’t believe anyone does a true 76day QT in a fishless system.
most people who sell corals, have at least 1 or 2 fish in the systems for various reasons.

FactoryKTMmotocross46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason Fox corals - watch the reef builders video tour of his business. I got a zoa frag from WWC with an aptasia on it. At the massive scale they farm, I dont see how it would be possible even though I know they try.

Johnboy3886

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me personally. I would like, at the very least, to know I’m not getting fish diseases. Diseases and pest free would be even better, but I don’t really know if that’s possible. Especially with LPS that have large skeletal bases, like lobo, scoly, ext.. I have to believing that if vendors Qtd corals for fish diseases, they would advertise it. I have seen videos on Jason fox’s system, and it gives me more confidence in buying from him, but I think you still run a risk if you don’t QT. He does have fire corals thou.

OP
OP
KLaRue

KLaRue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what your goal of QT that coral is...
are you only concerned with coral pests or do you care about fish disease as well.
mid you only care about pests, then dipping is probably fine granted you get it from a reputable source.
if you are worried about fish diseases, then I don’t believe anyone does a true 76day QT in a fishless system.
most people who sell corals, have at least 1 or 2 fish in the systems for various reasons.
Dipping of the corals for coral-related pests will definitely be done before placement in my tank. However, it is the assurance that the corals are also free of fish-related pests that is my concern/goal.
It seems like a doable proposition, from my viewpoint, for a coral vendor selling frags from their own coral colonies. If you are selling frags from colonies you already own and didn't practice disease eradication, remove any fish from your tanks and keep them fish-free for 76 days before introducing new pre-quarantined fish. And, the seller would not have to stop selling during the 76 days - they just couldn't claim to have pre-quarantined corals. However, after the 76 days have passed, it sure would make them a valued source of corals for those of us that want to have a fully QT'ed tank.

RVA REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the big guys keep bring in stock and cant quarantine the stock and fish before selling every 76 days, even people getting fish from the new quarantine fish vendors are saying they still get stuff so if youre ocd about quarantine youll have to do it yourself

OP
OP
KLaRue

KLaRue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM Aquatics responded to my question:

“Thanks for reaching out. All of our inverts and corals are maintained in fishless systems. Our turnover on coral is relatively slow and much of what we offer is propagated in house. New inverts like snails arrive every 2-3 weeks.

Thanks,
TSM Aquatics”

I received other good news from Dr. Reef. In the future, he plans to add corals to his fully quarantined livestock.

The future looks good for reefers to have options for disease control measures - whether management or eradication.

kerbfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also interested in any vendor that does a true coral quarantine before shipping. Anyone have feedback from Dr. Reef? I put in my first fish order with them last week.

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also interested in any vendor that does a true coral quarantine before shipping. Anyone have feedback from Dr. Reef? I put in my first fish order with them last week.
Heard he is dealing with a bacterial outbreak in three of five of his systems. Could affect some orders.

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dipping can only do so much, for example if the frags have aefw eggs than dipping can only get to the adults, but your still in trouble with the eggs. Also there’s a few pests that are super hard to see and can survive many different treatments in quarantine. If you get yourself a jewelry lense (vivosun), then you can easily analyze the coral frags. This is one of the best methods of prevention of pests. Also I know this is for coral vendors but I just want to share the lense it really helps me. For vendors coral euphoria has very clean acros, same with Sbb and ARC, haven’t found a single pest on any of those acros to date.

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was your experience with Dr Reef?
I've had 2 recent orders with Dr. Reef.

Both fish arrived alive, 1 was a Golden Midas Blenny, fish arrived healthy as far as I could tell, but definitely not "Golden". I've read this can happen so I didn't think much of it.

Second fish was a Yellow Watchman Goby.. almost 3 months ago now. I still wanted my Yellow fish!!

This fish arrived with a large bite mark around its dorsal area and white fuzzy stuff growing from or covering the bite mark, and the fish was pure silver/grey... not yellow.

I contacted Dr. Reef and he told me to treat the fish with some meds and make sure its eating. The fish survived and the what I was told was a bite mark from a tank mate and a "bacterial infection" healed and cleared up.

The fish is still silver though. lol

During the whole process, Dr. Reef always responded to my emails very quickly. He even offered me credit so I can get a yellow fish eventually. I probably wont, as I'm maxed out on fish I think.

I would use Dr. Reef again, no question. But I would also like to try other vendors who Quarantine in the future.

All in all, I wish my Yellow Watchman Goby would have arrived healthy, since I paid more to purchase him in a quarantined condition. The last thing I wanted to do was to get him and then stress about its health.

Side note.. the "Golden" Midas has turned into a real jerk and I'm trying to get her out and re home her. If anyone is interested... and local.. let me know!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back