Any Gardners?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a raised bed and have tried a variety of vegetables. I don’t think I get enough sun for anything to really produce...or the squirrels get it. Cantaloupe and a squash plant ended up growing about 15ft out from the garden where the yard is wetter and shady. The squirrels take one bite of everything and leave it. Caterpillars ate the cabbage to nubs, bunnies ate my carrots and radishes; probably squirrels too. I gave up and will try again when we move to a house not located in the middle of sherwoods forest. I have good luck with flowers in pots in my front yard and I can grow house plants pretty well. BC25870E-E075-4E2D-AE56-4014EB1C7303.jpeg 4DB9AA06-A636-41A9-9786-FA24C0F4DF26.jpeg

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed a bunch of you guys are starting seedlings without a fan or air circulation. In my experience that tends to create leggy seedlings with thin stalks and promote dampening off disease. I usually try to have a circulating fan near by blowing air on the seedlings to help prevent that problem.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tp still scarce here too.
I liv
I noticed a bunch of you guys are starting seedlings without a fan or air circulation. In my experience that tends to create leggy seedlings with thin stalks and promote dampening off disease. I usually try to have a circulating fan near by blowing air on the seedlings to help prevent that problem.
Thanks for the heads up. Is that for stregthening of stalks due to movement or oxygen?

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tp still scarce here too.
I liv

Thanks for the heads up. Is that for stregthening of stalks due to movement or oxygen?
To strengthen/thicken the stalks but also to improve air circulation and reduce mold. They will dry out faster though as a result so you need to be a bit more vigilant. If you look at how commercial greenhouses do it they all have large blowers to push air around to prevent mold and keep stalks upright.

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some pickles today, planning on dill relish tomorrow.

july pick2020.JPG

I noticed the leaves of my acorn squash and zuchinni getting major chomping the other day. I suspected some big juicy worm or other bug. Looked down on the garden a few minutes ago....it's a wood chuck!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built a raised bed in the spring this year. I guess it's been amazing growing season in MN. Bought a few cherry tomato plants the rest were seeds.

20200715_151416.jpg

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built a raised bed in the spring this year. I guess it's been amazing growing season in MN. Bought a few cherry tomato plants the rest were seeds.

20200715_151416.jpg
Cherry tomatoes are just starting to ripen here in Vermont at the farm I pick up veggies from.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had a garden, why pay grocery store prices for food I can raise, same for MEAT! I have a hydroponic system for growing in the winter here ( our winters don't get real cold , Texas )

This year I was going to get a few started plants and they were all gone within 12 hours of the covid pandemic announcement. Lol Thankfully I have lots of seeds and I keep seeds from the plants I grow.
Even have 3 pomegranate plants.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty jealous of those that can grow year round.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty jealous of those that can grow year round.

You can set up a small hydroponic system for inside the house, growing salad stuff and green beans and peas. Even tomato plants if you use a tote and just cut out a hole for the pots to sit in, in the lid

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except the perfect spot for a hydroponic system just happens to also be the perfect spot for a frag tank. :D

hubcap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please, oh please, NO ONE grow those seeds from China that were shipped labeled as "jewelry."

it should be a no-brainer, but, there are some of our fellow Americans that have no brains.

my name is hubcap, and I approve this message.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I gardened a lot in Maryland, but since moving to Orlando it’s much harder for me. The seasons are very different (harvesting tomatoes in March) and the summer is near impossible. It’s not just the heat, but the constant attack of bacterial and fungal diseases. On top of that, there’s so many more insect problems than I ever had in MD. Not sure if pickle worms are up north but they wipe out an entire crop once they get inside the plant. Too frustrating to garden in the warmer months.
That said, I’ve moved to growing mangoes, bananas, pomegranates, and dragon fruit.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So any recent harvest pics?

Widespread frost last night in my area, but my garden was pretty sad the second half of the season. My pickling cukes starting to get stubby so they all became relish or salad slices.

Zuchinni produced early then just died. Acorn squash plants grew really well and put out flowers, but most of the squash are the size of softballs. Salad greens like arugula and mustard did fine in the raised beds, still have some arugula and basil growing right now.

It was very hot and dry here, the local farm I pick up from had lots of problems as well....their irrigation pond is almost dry.

I though I was going to have a great apple year as well...but they all started to drop off the trees by August. I still have a few pears though.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back