Any Gardners?

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve planted a garden for the past two or three years, and this is the first time I’ve had a chance to get a head start with the growing process. Here’s some pictures from when I first started to today (photos are 8 days apart). I’m growing tomatoes, spinach, cucumber, beans, peppers, and kohlrabi. Any else here have a garden?

CF7FFE98-1F1D-4F59-AE6A-11A9950E46FD.jpeg 77D42739-548E-41F9-BDEE-F9AFE9BE7424.png

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some Tomato seeds from Amazon and it took like 3 months to get them, I completely forgot about them, they came from the Philippines, I am anxious to see how they taste. I will be keeping them in the black bags kind of like aquarium socks.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im more of a flower planting guy, big fan of tulips but my yard never gets enough sun for them.

Also my tomatoes always have one decent harvest then get moldy and die. Squashes do fine just have to keep an eye out for beetles.

2-3 summers ago we did watermelons. By august 1/3 of the back yard was covered in melons it got so bad they started fermenting so we said no more watermelon

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been gardening for about 15 years. I had a really good flat sunny spot that I had tomatoes, peppers and squash do well for 6 years. Periodic flooding of my yard has made me move my garden to the hilly sections of my lawn. I also have been making a few raised beds for salad greens and herbs. My season is May to September, but can keep greens alive into November with cold frames. I just put out some snow pea seeds.

I've been involved with a CSA farm share for several years, with what I grow and what they grow I rarely buy vegetables from June through October. If I could find a way to grown avocados and bananas in Vermont...i'd be set.

I usually put out greens and herb seeds direct sow in my raised beds and plant local starts by around Memorial Day. Our last frost is usually mid May.

spring 2017.jpg

I do about two or three plantings in my raised beds throughout the season starting in April/May then June/July, last planting would be early August for a fall harvest.

North side garden, gets sun from morning until 2pm in the summer. Acorn, zuchinni, and cukes.
squash.jpg

acorn.jpg

I also like to pickle things
pickels.jpg

I also have about 9 fruit trees, mostly apples but put some pear trees in the last few years.
apples.jpg

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to think about since it is the time to get things going. With the current situations is anyone buying seeds or having any trouble getting supplies?

We have stay at home order until May 15 now and I usually hit the garden centers or my local stores for supplies and seedlings and really don't want to travel and mingle over plants...if that will even be an option.

I put an order in for seeds for greens and such from a Maine company and they are taking their time shipping.

OP
OP
Evan28395950

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to think about since it is the time to get things going. With the current situations is anyone buying seeds or having any trouble getting supplies?

We have stay at home order until May 15 now and I usually hit the garden centers or my local stores for supplies and seedlings and really don't want to travel and mingle over plants...if that will even be an option.

I put an order in for seeds for greens and such from a Maine company and they are taking their time shipping.
I went to Farm & Fleet a few weeks ago and bought some. I probably started a little too early but still happy that I got it going.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to Farm & Fleet a few weeks ago and bought some. I probably started a little too early but still happy that I got it going.

I went searching through several vendors Burpee, Gurneys, Johnny Seeds, Territorial......seeds are going the way of the toilet paper, either completely out or halting ordering for a week or two.

I went to Amazon, got some orders with different vendors, hopefully I'll have seeds in a couple of weeks.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I moved last summer to a new area. I can't get any seeds to start that I had no issue starting previous. Moved from the Portland Oregon area to North Idaho.. the dirt here sucks in 100% opposite of Portland. Rocky, sandy, dries quickly vs clay with no rocks and holds water in Portland. Specifically I can't get lettuce crops to sprouts in my heated greenhouse. Even seeds I've had no issue sprouting over the last 10 years, even fresh seeds. Tried outside and inside.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten most of the seeds I ordered. I have some snow peas poking out now and planted some beans, arugula and mustard outside, covered with windowpanes until it gets consistantly warm. 60's and sunny today, but going to be rainy and 40's this week for several days.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 count peat pack, organic soil, Superthrive supplement, Heat pad. Broccoli sprouted in 24hours.
$20 amazon grow light in a home made fixture.

Carrots, onions, broccoli, chives, green beans, two types of lettuce.

20200421_220631.jpg 20200420_200255.jpg 20200423_154832.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went searching through several vendors Burpee, Gurneys, Johnny Seeds, Territorial......seeds are going the way of the toilet paper, either completely out or halting ordering for a week or two.

I went to Amazon, got some orders with different vendors, hopefully I'll have seeds in a couple of weeks.
i live in an agracultural area and our local lowes was completely stocked with seeds. It differs place to place since they stock based on regional sales data. what they have at your local lowes they likely dont carry at mine. like driveway deicer....gotta order my calcium and magnesium suppliments online lol

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i live in an agracultural area and our local lowes was completely stocked with seeds. It differs place to place since they stock based on regional sales data. what they have at your local lowes they likely dont carry at mine. like driveway deicer....gotta order my calcium and magnesium suppliments online lol
I'm minimizing going out. It looks like my local HD has seeds but can't order online. I actually did see seeds at my grocery store the other day and some of our local plant stores will be be doing curbside when they open, but even in a good year I have to hit several places to get exactly what I want. My local farmstand/start guy is old and has a sign out for ordering things, but who knows what he'll have available when Memorial day comes. I still can't find a roll of toilet paper at my local supermarket, at least when I go shopping.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back