Any good reefing uses for Alexa?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been thinking about buying an Amazon echo dot lately, but haven't decided whether or not to pull the trigger. Just wondering if there are any good reefing uses for Alexa? That answer might push my decision over the edge. Ha!

Kyle Rinker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I've never used one, here is what I'm imagining...."Alexa, order me another 200 gallon box of Reef Crystals and give me 1 day shipping", as I swear under my breath and get ready to change out 125 gallons after doing something dumb.

Chris86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really neat. I like asking it the weather. If you have certain thermostats, you can change the temperature. You can arm your home security system with Vivint.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think Neptune Systems needs to work on allowing Alexa to communicate with my Apex. What so you say, @Terence? :D

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Alexa is in my sump area which is also my mini lab. It's nice being able to give voice commands or look something up while I'm working on stuff.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL I wanna be able to say, "Alexa, change my water." Or "Alexa, what's my alk?" :D #techdreams

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting!

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say..."ok Google feed my fish" then neptune uses the AFS to automatically feed my fish (I prefer Google home over Alexa;))

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have my cheap LED desk lamp over my fish only QT set up to a TP-Link outlet controlled by Alexa. "Alexa, turn on the QT lamp". Boom. Light on. Otherwise, the TP-Link uses a schedule to turn the lamp on or off during regular operation.

Also, when testing. "Alexa, set a timer for 9 minutes".

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 4 of them set up, bedroom that we're in while we refinish the Master, living room (open floor plan so can also use it from the kitchen), basement/media room, and fish room/future bar room. I also have 2-3 more in boxes left over from when we gave them to everyone for Christmas - I think we had ordered 12 to give out as gifts. I plan on setting up at least two more so that both guest rooms have one as well.

I use them to automate the ceiling light/fan in the living room (Alexa, turn on the fan), the basement lights (Alexa, turn on the basement lights), a reading lamp in the living room (Alexa, turn on the reading lamp), my wife's bedside lamp (Alexa, turn on Catie's lamp), the light over my QT tank (Alexa, turn on the QT lamp), and now the ceiling light/fan in the master bedroom (Alexa, turn on the master). I use a mixture of TP-Link switches and outlets (get the minis, they only take up one outlet) as well as the Phillips Hue system for dimming bulbs. I think I still have one switch and one outlet lying around to install. I would like to put one on our front porch light since you can also control the switches remotely or via a schedule, very useful when travelling. I also will finally be tidying up my wiring on the tank and will use a Quirky outlet (controlled by Alexa) to be able to turn off filter/skimmer/power head for water changes or feeding until I upgrade and implement an Apex into the new tank.

Aside from that, we play a 6-question Jeopardy game every night (Alexa, play Jeopardy), listen to Spotify/Pandora/Amazon Music, use her as a timer or calculator or converter, and ask her stupid questions (Alexa, sing me a song, what is the meaning of life, what sound does a cow make, do you love me, when will the world end, etc).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back