Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your most welcome!

I have a few ideas on how to make an apex Alexa interface so that may be on my future project list :)
Awesome! Please be sure to share once you do!

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your most welcome!

I have a few ideas on how to make an apex Alexa interface so that may be on my future project list :)
Sounds cool and scary at the same time. With kids I'd worry about stuff getting shut down on accident from the kids giving the commands they hear me say.

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea mimicking kids could be scary. You could always do a defer type thing in apex to turn a switch back on after day 20 min. For me I try to think of anything I would want to change while my hands are wet or in the tank (as phone screens are useless with wet fingers!)

But the delay on thing would be a huge saviour for accident kid triggers

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Alexa for about 9 months now. I went with the Lutron Caseta light switches, as well as Insteon intergration for my older light switches. We have multi zone AC systems with smart Thermostats integratred in 5 rooms. We already had the Honeywell Thermostat that we could talk to. Alexa and the thermostats hasn't been that useful. I switched alot of the thermostats to motion sensors, the rooms are only temp controlled when they are being used.

I started integrating Alexa with my Apex a few weeks ago. Right now I can tell Alexa to turn on the Disco fish and she switches the Radions to Royal Blue to make the tank glow in the dark. I have also set Alexa up to work with my automatic frozen food feeder. I tell Alexa to 'Feed the Fish' and get to show off my new automated feeder.

We have 'Rate of Use' Electric -My electric rates vary by time of day. Fish tank lights don't turn on till 4:30. But if someone comes over during the day. I tell Alexa to Turn on the tank lights. And the tank lights come on.

I have also tried to get Alexa to work with our AV equipment. I went with the Anymote option. But it's been a little too difficult.

My next Alexa project is to integrate her with our home alarm. My wife and I are bad about setting the alarm when we leave. There are some people who have gotten Alexa to know when our phones leave the house to set the alarm, and to turn it off when one of our phones comes back to the house.

Dave B

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of fish feeder do you have?

I have Alexa talking to the harmony hub which lets me control he tv / amp / fans ect(all the IR stuff ) I haven't bother hooking up to the nest yet as it does it's thing but maybe eventually

How did you intergrate Alexa with apex? Via break out box ?

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Alexa for about 9 months now. I went with the Lutron Caseta light switches, as well as Insteon intergration for my older light switches. We have multi zone AC systems with smart Thermostats integratred in 5 rooms. We already had the Honeywell Thermostat that we could talk to. Alexa and the thermostats hasn't been that useful. I switched alot of the thermostats to motion sensors, the rooms are only temp controlled when they are being used.

I started integrating Alexa with my Apex a few weeks ago. Right now I can tell Alexa to turn on the Disco fish and she switches the Radions to Royal Blue to make the tank glow in the dark. I have also set Alexa up to work with my automatic frozen food feeder. I tell Alexa to 'Feed the Fish' and get to show off my new automated feeder.

We have 'Rate of Use' Electric -My electric rates vary by time of day. Fish tank lights don't turn on till 4:30. But if someone comes over during the day. I tell Alexa to Turn on the tank lights. And the tank lights come on.

I have also tried to get Alexa to work with our AV equipment. I went with the Anymote option. But it's been a little too difficult.

My next Alexa project is to integrate her with our home alarm. My wife and I are bad about setting the alarm when we leave. There are some people who have gotten Alexa to know when our phones leave the house to set the alarm, and to turn it off when one of our phones comes back to the house.

Dave B
That all sounds fun but... Just my opinion on the phone trigger. I was the (intended) victim of an (attempted) armed robbery years back and if my phone automatically turned off alarm I may not be here today. Not to sounds paranoid but alarms going off are great tools in unnerving would be home Invaders. Probably better to tape a note to the door to remind you to tell Alexa to arm your system.

TurboTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a jace in... will run circles around and tank automation product on the market :)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back