Any idea on approximate ID?

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It came with live rock 2 years ago, survived in the sump for this long, probably on snails?
It's approx. 2-3cm long.

Attachments

• petal_20230627_100057.mp4
    80.1 MB

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stumped

Where did the rock originate from bychance? Never seen this one before, the eye stalks do not match typical smashers. I don't believe its chorisquilla for that reason.

Kinda reminds me of a strange color morph of E. guerinii but even that's a stretch (and would be easy to debunk with the tail). The colors seem to make G. annularis but the eye stalks still dont.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stumped

Where did the rock originate from bychance? Never seen this one before, the eye stalks do not match typical smashers. I don't believe its chorisquilla for that reason.

Kinda reminds me of a strange color morph of E. guerinii but even that's a stretch (and would be easy to debunk with the tail). The colors seem to make G. annularis but the eye stalks still dont.
Unfortunately I have no idea of the rock origin, I got it from a private person. Is there a way to convince the little guy to come out of the hole for taking some pictures? I tried to lift the rock above the water but it did not jump down.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll never just slide out, best case scenario is to get a plastic fork/long tooth pick and try training it to frozen, it'll come out further over a week possibly smelling it and searching for the food when it hits the water. At that point you might be able to trap it with food using this method:

1687867906054.png

I assume you're interested in keeping it?

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll never just slide out, best case scenario is to get a plastic fork/long tooth pick and try training it to frozen, it'll come out further over a week possibly smelling it and searching for the food when it hits the water. At that point you might be able to trap it with food using this method:

1687867906054.png

I assume you're interested in keeping it?
Ok I will try to befriend him lol. It is already eating frozen/crushed dove snails from the tongs, so I guess I can try to slowly move the bait away from the hole every day a bit more. I am definitely not gonna kill the fella, but if someone in EU is interested I could ship it. For now it will live in a 5g tank while I set up the new tank and afterwards I could keep it in the sump. It would be annoying if it was going to kill all my snails and crabs in my DT, otherwise I would keep it there..

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell what color his meral spots are? They’re a small round indent on the top of the part the smasher hangs from

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell what color his meral spots are? They’re a small round indent on the top of the part the smasher hangs from
From a first look it looks orange, but it is hard to tell without decent pictures. I need to find a way to make it get out of the hole for decent pictures. This is the best I could get for now, but maybe this weekend I will dedicate some time to this.
mantis2.PNG
mantis1.PNG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Whoa- Nice find- Mantis. Not sure the bottle trap will work, but this type baited with shrimp or snail will:

trap3.jpg

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a first look it looks orange, but it is hard to tell without decent pictures. I need to find a way to make it get out of the hole for decent pictures. This is the best I could get for now, but maybe this weekend I will dedicate some time to this.
mantis2.PNG
mantis1.PNG
He’s so cute! No help on ID but awesome find.

erchins8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious about what happened to this little guy or if you ever got an ID on him, hes very pretty lol

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious about what happened to this little guy or if you ever got an ID on him, hes very pretty lol
In the end I found a lady that bought a bunch of things from my aquarium including the little fella :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back