Any idea what is it on my male maroon clown?

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what is it on my male maroon clown?
2022-02-10 12.17.17-1.jpg

2022-02-10 12.17.13-1.jpg

OP
OP
Koty

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add that he has no behavioral symptoms: he eats like a pig and swims normally (as much as I can see). Female seems now to kick him of the RBTA that was their home.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add that he has no behavioral symptoms: he eats like a pig and swims normally (as much as I can see). Female seems now to kick him of the RBTA that was their home.
How long have you had the fish?

This isn't Lymphocystis. My first thought was damage from fighting, and then when I read that the female kicked it out of the anemone, that pretty much confirms it. Depending on how badly the pair bond has broken down, and how large your tank is, you may need to move it to a new tank. You may never see any overt aggression - while you are watching the tank, the clowns will watch you and "play nice". One trick is to set up your phone to video the tank and then leave the room while it is running, 7you may see some aggression on the video.

The other issues is secondary bacterial infection - the lesion below the fish's eye looks infected. To treat that, you would need to move the fish to a treatment tank and dose it with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic, such as Furan-2, Neoplex, etc.

Jay Hemdal

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m going to side with Jay
Looks like a post injury which has developed into secondary bacterial infection. Can have developed if water quality was less than optimal.
Glad to hear it’s eating. With that, recommendation is seachem metroplex and focus to bind the metro to the food and fish will ingest the medication
If no metroplex, kanaplex should work also and should be administered in a quarantine setting with aeration added via air stone

OP
OP
Koty

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to you all. I also suspected its a wound.
My quarantine is now home for baby Bengai cardinals.
I have Metroplex and access to Kanamycin.
I will wait a day or two to see if it improves or gets worse.

OP
OP
Koty

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My quarantine is now a baby Bengai Cardinal tank, so I gave it a 1.5 hour bath with a high concentration of metronidazole (about 50 mg/liter) and (about 150 mg/liter) amoxicillin. I than put it back in a cage in the DT for the next treatments. Hope that these will be effective. Is there any reason to add copramine, chloroquine or prazipro to the incubation soup? my plan is to go for 7-10 days treatment.
2022-02-16 14.08.00.jpg

OP
OP
Koty

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the fish. I saw the infection, but It was not that bad, and I wanted a mated pair. Once his wounds got worse looking, the female kicked him out.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a bucket, extra heater and pump? You don't need much for a temporary QT setup.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My quarantine is now a baby Bengai Cardinal tank, so I gave it a 1.5 hour bath with a high concentration of metronidazole (about 50 mg/liter) and (about 150 mg/liter) amoxicillin. I than put it back in a cage in the DT for the next treatments. Hope that these will be effective. Is there any reason to add copramine, chloroquine or prazipro to the incubation soup? my plan is to go for 7-10 days treatment.
2022-02-16 14.08.00.jpg

I don't see ANY evidence of a parasite here, so metronidazole, copper, chloroquine or praziquantel would all be useless.

The Amoxicillin is relatively unstable, and is best used as an injectable or in the food (as a carefully controlled dose). Furan-2, Neoplex or even Maracyn 2 would be better choices.

One final concern - in this clearer picture, I cannot rule out that this isn't a fungal infection, or a mixed fungal and bacterial infection. External fungus infections are very rare in marine fish, but we do see them from time to time. The treatment for those is pretty specific - a 75 ppm formalin dip for 30 minutes, once a day for 3 to 5 days.

Jay

OP
OP
Koty

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update. There seems to be an apperant improvement. I do a daily 2-3 hours double (abovementioned) antibiotic bath and return the fish to a cage in the DT. I also twice gave him 3-4 saki-Hikari soaked with metronidazole and a drop from the Energy bottle of Aquaforest. It's a smelly pinkish fluid (I wonder is it simply Seclon?). There is serious tissue damage but I hope it will heel. Plan is overall 10 days of treatment.
2022-02-21 12.26.22.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update: the fish fully recovered. I have to say I don't remember being successful with sick fish that much. He still has some tissue damage, but it seems to recover slowly. I hope that the female will accept him sometime shortly.
20220312_124605.jpg
What an amazing improvement that is,says alot about the care that you gave it and the marvelous healing ability of the fish.
I wish you the best with this fish and rest of your tank ^_^

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2022-02-16 14.08.00.jpg
Dang...looks like fish herpes

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back