Maroon Clown Pair

Ralph823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, just wanted to ask and see if people have had any similar experiences, I have a Pair of maroon clowns in my 180 mixed reef that have been paired for a year or so, they have been inseparable until last week when I noticed the male was chilling in a cave in the rockwork, they are both usually hosted by a large LTA. my concern is that since maroon clowns are so aggressive that the female may turn on the male which is half her size. they still meet in the middle every now and then and during feedings with no aggression but should I be concerned at all?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't sound unusual to me - I have occellaris clowns and it's the same - the female generally won't "let" the male be in the nem. It's just a dominance thing which gets more pronounced as they reach reproductive age. Unless there is serious fighting leading to physical damage, I wouldn't worry.

OP
OP
Ralph823

Ralph823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't sound unusual to me - I have occellaris clowns and it's the same - the female generally won't "let" the male be in the nem. It's just a dominance thing which gets more pronounced as they reach reproductive age. Unless there is serious fighting leading to physical damage, I wouldn't worry.
in all my years in the hobby these are my first maroons because my tanks have never been large enough to where I feel appropriate to have a pair, however in my 75 the only time my male occerlaris is kicked out of the nem is when eggs are getting ready to hatch, even then the female lays them in a cave just below the BTA and the male is still in and out of the nem every so often. with these guys the Nem is on the sand bed in the middle of the tank and the male is in the rock work in far left of the tank. that's almost 3 feet apart. I cant really see inside of the cave so I'm wondering if she has eggs in there.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Maroon Clowns did the same. The male would hang out away from the female, they would take turns hosting. I used to call the female "the assassin" she was very territorial and killed a couple of Maroon's that I tried to pair her with. After a year of the Maroon's being pair. I would not be too concerned.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine also did the same. They were right next to each other for the first few months. After that they hung out in two opposite corners of the tank (125 gallon). My female would assert her dominance on the male every now and then but nothing more than that

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine together for 4 years the female is three times his size and 10 years plus. No trouble at all and she’s huge. I wouldn’t worry.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back