Any ideas I'm stumped

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently developed a problem in my tank the corals are not extending my clown acts funny I lost a yw goby to some infection like fin rot.. . At first I thought cyano but my nutrients are pretty low I got like a 4 ppm on nitrate .o3 on phosphate 8.2dkh salinity is.026 magnesium at 1440 lil high calcium like 490 lil high too I don't dose anything I use reef crystals. I'm pretty sure the nutrients dropped too low and I have dino could dino drop o2 levels enough to effect the tank in this manner the clown seems to act better when I raise the power head to pull in air I ordered a protein skimmer should be here Monday should help get more 02 in and remove unwanted stuff.... All of this was triggered by a series of water changes was trying to do an 80 percent change with like 4 or 5 small water changes it seems to have spiraled out of control I run carbon and that's all the water is foaming in the back chambers I'm confused I have been in a routine with this tank mostly just water change and have done these types of water changes before with no Ill effect I do gravel vac sometimes but not too crazy....I don't think there is a foreign contaminate but.... Who knows I have a wife and kids and I'm only home in the evening I've tested just about everything major including ammonia everything is acceptable as far as parameters I'm at a loss and am trying to let this run its course but I don't wanna loose everything

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature, chloramine?
Have neo therm heater... 78... No temp probe been wandering about it.... Not tested for chloramine..I have an rodi system not the best and I don't have tds meter have wandered about that also

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently developed a problem in my tank the corals are not extending my clown acts funny I lost a yw goby to some infection like fin rot.. . At first I thought cyano but my nutrients are pretty low I got like a 4 ppm on nitrate .o3 on phosphate 8.2dkh salinity is.026 magnesium at 1440 lil high calcium like 490 lil high too I don't dose anything I use reef crystals. I'm pretty sure the nutrients dropped too low and I have dino could dino drop o2 levels enough to effect the tank in this manner the clown seems to act better when I raise the power head to pull in air I ordered a protein skimmer should be here Monday should help get more 02 in and remove unwanted stuff.... All of this was triggered by a series of water changes was trying to do an 80 percent change with like 4 or 5 small water changes it seems to have spiraled out of control I run carbon and that's all the water is foaming in the back chambers I'm confused I have been in a routine with this tank mostly just water change and have done these types of water changes before with no Ill effect I do gravel vac sometimes but not too crazy....I don't think there is a foreign contaminate but.... Who knows I have a wife and kids and I'm only home in the evening I've tested just about everything major including ammonia everything is acceptable as far as parameters I'm at a loss and am trying to let this run its course but I don't wanna loose everything
How old is your tank and how did you start it?

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have neo therm heater... 78... No temp probe been wandering about it.... Not tested for chloramine..I have an rodi system not the best and I don't have tds meter have wandered about that also
Well
1st - does your city use chloramine
2nd - if so do you have a filter (carbon) specifically for chloramine
3rd - you could add some Prime til you figure it out
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank and how did you start it?
8 months ish.... Marco Rock live sand special grade reef sand turbo start I've taken it slow i ghost fed for a couple months then I got 2 clowns and a crab 1 clown jumped out within 2 weeks before I built the screen top. I waited a couple more months then I added a zoas frag and a hammer frag and an Elegance the Elegance died after a couple months it was beautiful until one day it was not it had several Gaul crabs living in it... I added aywg a tiny crab and tiny snail I've been going slow and patient I feel like any way

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well
1st - does your city use chloramine
2nd - if so do you have a filter (carbon) specifically for chloramine
3rd - you could add some Prime til you figure it out
Cheers! Mark
Not sure about the carbon for chloramine I have a cheap rodi from Amazon but it has worked good so far... I'm not in city water but in a rural area I'm not sure 100 percent sure what they put in the water I'll look into prime Ive not heard of it to be honest

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 months ish.... Marco Rock live sand special grade reef sand turbo start I've taken it slow i ghost fed for a couple months then I got 2 clowns and a crab 1 clown jumped out within 2 weeks before I built the screen top. I waited a couple more months then I added a zoas frag and a hammer frag and an Elegance the Elegance died after a couple months it was beautiful until one day it was not it had several Gaul crabs living in it... I added aywg a tiny crab and tiny snail I've been going slow and patient I feel like any way
You need to get real biology in your tank. That means real cured live rock. Your biodiversity won't support the load that you are putting on the tank. With the dead rock starts it takes a long time to get any kind of stabilty because you are not bringing in biology to continually seed the tank. Invest your money in live rock before adding more inhabitants.

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get real biology in your tank. That means real cured live rock. Your biodiversity won't support the load that you are putting on the tank. With the dead rock starts it takes a long time to get any kind of stabilty because you are not bringing in biology to continually seed the tank. Invest your money in live rock before adding more inhabitants.
Thanks for the help I was trying to avoid pest and problems by making a new start allot ... Allot of online info say this is the"best method" but I have no experience only online research trying to put theory into practical use...I don't want new livestock I want my corals to look good again I want to have confidence in my routine like I did

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help I was trying to avoid pest and problems by making a new start allot ... Allot of online info say this is the"best method" but I have no experience only online research trying to put theory into practical use...I don't want new livestock I want my corals to look good again I want to have confidence in my routine like I did
I would try just about anything to avoid a crash or a restart I just want this to work

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back