Any Ideas?

RickysReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So new to the forums and new to reefing in general and have 1 question that stands out among the others and that question is what the heck is on this frag plug I bought for 5 bucks from my LFS? I asked for some pulsing Xenia as I wanted something easy for now and they have me a big frag plug with a small bit of Xenia on it and the rest was occupied with what I thought was this coralline algae I have been seeing and hearing about. But it got bigger and has polyps that come out every now again so I’m guessing it’s some type of coral but I have no idea. I Should probably just ask the LFS but I wanted to heard y’alls thoughts on it. Sorry for bad pics but it’s the best I could get on my phone.

1AC88F02-905F-4FF6-9969-18FBC93395C7.jpeg A9DC3BAC-8D59-45EA-9183-198F77AFD191.jpeg

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the polyps out on your picture? I am assuming the gray part in front is supposed to be the Xenia? Lastly, have you dipped this coral before putting it in your tank?

And Above all else.. Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

OP
OP
RickysReefer

RickysReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the polyps out on your picture? I am assuming the gray part in front is supposed to be the Xenia? Lastly, have you dipped this coral before putting it in your tank?

And Above all else.. Welcome to Reef2Reef!!
Yes the grey part is the Xenia, no polyps in the pic I’m going to try and see if I can load one up when I get home today. They are out like 75 percent of the time just not yesterday evening. And no I didn’t dip, it was an impulse buy and I didn’t prepare fully. It’s the only coral in the tank is it worth taking out, dipping, and put back in? The plug was put it in maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the grey part is the Xenia, no polyps in the pic I’m going to try and see if I can load one up when I get home today. They are out like 75 percent of the time just not yesterday evening. And no I didn’t dip, it was an impulse buy and I didn’t prepare fully. It’s the only coral in the tank is it worth taking out, dipping, and put back in? The plug was put it in maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago

I was looking at the plug in general. Looks like some kind of algae or something growing on the plug. Can possibly effect the entire tank. Yes, I would dip it.. The pics are not clear enough to ID anything .. so I personally dont know what to tell you.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome!

Kind of looks like a monti on part of it and it looks like clove polyps or Xenia :)

OP
OP
RickysReefer

RickysReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got an update, I dipped their coral. Xeni seems upset now and is balled up but the other coral looks much better. It had a lot of slime on it and what I think is Cyanobacteria as well. All of the nasty stuff seems to be dying and I got a new pic with the polyps :D
6B51043C-5CEF-4B3D-9F0A-3D7D737D6BBA.jpeg

Shawsy81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got an update, I dipped their coral. Xeni seems upset now and is balled up but the other coral looks much better. It had a lot of slime on it and what I think is Cyanobacteria as well. All of the nasty stuff seems to be dying and I got a new pic with the polyps :D
6B51043C-5CEF-4B3D-9F0A-3D7D737D6BBA.jpeg
Star polyp or green star polyp will grow like a carpet over rock and corals I personally love the stuff as I have 3 different greens in my tank looks like illuminated grass

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks either dead, dying or bleached.
Isn’t GSP green with white or purple Centre.
The tank looks very new.
Corals, even softies are challenges in a new tank.

85E4A0FD-E24F-43D9-A852-792E33FA3D25.jpeg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.5%
Back