Any Link between Light and Alkalinity/Calcium Absorption?

reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last month, I have been raising the intensity of my LED lights. (I have a T5/LED combo.Two 54W T5 blue plus lights and 300W LED light. T5 blue plus are 100%. Blue LED at 50%, white LED at 10%. Lights 4-5 inches over tank water surface.)
Today, I realized that over the same period of time, my alkalinity and calcium levels have slowly climbed. So, I have adjusted down my dosing levels a couple of times - including today.
I have also observed that sps corals are encrusting and growing well, but lps corals (chalices) are stagnant or receding.
1) Is it possible my lighting is too strong for chalices?
2) Is there any correlation between light and alkalinity/calcium absorption?
3) Is there a sweet spot for lighting where alkalinity/calcium absorption peaks?

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Dana Riddle gave a good speech on this at MACNA:

The short answer to all of them is yes, and the sweet spot for each coral is going to be different. SPS tend to have higher light requirements than LPS, which generally results in the LPS being on the sandbed and the SPS being higher on the rockwork. Keeping a mixed reef is difficult, in my opinion, primarily due to coral placement (both water flow and light wise).

OP
OP
reefer1

reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Msdergnc and Randy. I had seen the video before but had forgotten about it - or maybe it was there in my subconscious.
This confirms my suspicions. Time to slowly reduce my LEDs.
Thanks Again!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back