Any mail in necropsy services for hobbyists?

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a bummer now two animals were hurt during this, it was a nice buck and I’m sure he had a good life though.

Best of luck on the necropsy. From my understanding is they don’t usually turn up much.
And I hope there isn’t anything that shows up but I owe it to the rest of the fish in my care to at least try to find out and give them a better outcome if there is something that can be treated. That’s 14 other fish that are at risk. A fish that has been healthy and eating with a great response for nearly a year suddenly quit showing interest in eating isn’t normal.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, very interested in the path report. If you get the written report, would love for you to post it! Sorry for your loss, and for your truck!
You will know whatever I find out. They have my email so I should get a report sent there. I’ll ask when they call for sure.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful update!!

Initial findings were there was nothing! Said gills looked just pretty and perfect. Nothing on the skin or in the muscular tissues of the fish.

He did say the gut cavity was so tiny and all organs very small that he is going to take slides of the organs and send them off in the morning (at no additional charge) just to be sure nothing was missed. Said everything that he did examine showed nothing abnormal.

@drknudsenx2,

I did ask if a full report would be emailed and the vet said that it would. I’ll give more updates when I get them. I feel better for the rest of my tank inhabitants now.

Last edited:

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a thread.

Sorry about the loss of your fish. Sucks for sure.

And then the deer comes along. Glad everyone is ok.

I had a large buck run in front of me a few days ago. I could only imagine what would have happened if it would have ran into a side window where someone was sitting. Those antlers would have at least hurt, if not killed someone. Scared the heck out of me.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a thread.

Sorry about the loss of your fish. Sucks for sure.

And then the deer comes along. Glad everyone is ok.

I had a large buck run in front of me a few days ago. I could only imagine what would have happened if it would have ran into a side window where someone was sitting. Those antlers would have at least hurt, if not killed someone. Scared the heck out of me.
Yes, losing that fish really does stink. There’s a lady I work with that paints in her free time that was working on a painting of this exact fish to hang in my fish room. I haven’t let her know yet that the fish has passed.
Here are some early painting updates. Haven’t got any in a while but she has been saying it will be finished soon!
B487C5DB-F9A9-4BBF-9A13-3773DB599E8C.jpeg

CC90691E-8CDD-4E0E-977A-70A7ED81552D.jpeg

Also, this fish is the most expensive fish I have had so far in this hobby. I’m looking at getting a Candy Basslet soon for a 30 gallon tank in the fish room and wanted to make sure I didn’t have some superbug running around. Why is it always the most expensive fish that dies!?!

We were very fortunate no one was hurt in the crash. Also very glad nobody else hit the deer before we were able to remove it from the roadway. The truck will get towed to the body shop in the morning and meet the adjuster there and also pick up my rental car.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a 12 year old clownfish due to jumping. I woke in the middle of the night to use the washroom. Turned on the room light that the tank is in like always. Used the washroom and headed back to bed. When I turned the light off, I could have sworn I heard a splash. Gave it a few seconds of thought and decided to head back to bed instead of checking on the noise. My heart sank when I didn't see my clown swimming in it's normal spot the next morning. Sure enough, found her dried up behind the tank. I still kick my self for that. I did have a cover on the tank but not a good one that covered it all. That was the very first I fish I ever bought in this hobby.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the DVM Doing the necropsy said he would be calling this afternoon. May have some answers soon!

I swear when I first read this I thought you said "the DMV is going the necropsy"... on the deer?

Lol, it's late here. I am interested in the results though!

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear when I first read this I thought you said "the DMV is going the necropsy"... on the deer?

Lol, it's late here. I am interested in the results though!
That’s funny! No, I don’t think there’s question as to how or why the deer died.

I’ll be sure to post any info I get from this. It’s my first time having a fish examined but felt it was worth it to be sure nothing was getting ready to wipe the tank out.

drknudsenx2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so now I gotta know. Do Koi fish get herpes? Naturally?
They do! KHV (Koi Herpes Virus) apparently can wreak havoc on carp populations, both in nature and in captivity. My wife helped with the testing of a vaccine designed to prevent it during her time in undergrad.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one of the most interesting random threads I have had the pleasure to stumble upon. Amazing! Did not eat the deer huh? Me neither. But I have friends that would have wanted it. Small GI tract and organs is very interesting. Makes me think poor nutrition early in captive life, maybe? You have a new fan btw. Following...

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one of the most interesting random threads I have had the pleasure to stumble upon. Amazing! Did not eat the deer huh? Me neither. But I have friends that would have wanted it. Small GI tract and organs is very interesting. Makes me think poor nutrition early in captive life, maybe? You have a new fan btw. Following...
Welcome! Hoping to get the full necropsy report sometime this week.

Got the truck to the shop this morning and in the renta Dodge Charger. It’s ok but I’d rather be driving my truck. Adjuster is supposed to be at the body shop around 2.

Random is how I roll. This thread has everything for the makings of a movie except some romance! Come on clowns, start spawning already!!

1F178572-0216-40AE-A5D9-91AA0EF696DC.jpeg

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vet was talking about small gut cavity and organs in the sense that he normally examines larger animals. He’s done a few fish but by no means an expert in examining them. I don’t know if I could afford expert level necropsy.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vet was talking about small gut cavity and organs in the sense that he normally examines larger animals. He’s done a few fish but by no means an expert in examining them. I don’t know if I could afford expert level necropsy.
Oh I see. Different entirely. :)

drknudsenx2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great that he took samples. If I had to guess, he is probably a resident at A&M without much interest in fish, however I suspect that have anatomic pathologists performing research there that would be interested in reviewing the histopathology. At least at UGA CVM, I always saw a number of posterboards of fish diseases/studies by research pathologists. So hopefully you will get an answer!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back