Any mail in necropsy services for hobbyists?

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way I wanted to share an idea with you. With a microscope and a little research you could probably determine the most common causes of fish illness and death. Gill clipping viewed under a microscope would reveal parasites as would a slide rubbed across the fishes body. Just a thought I wanted to share. Maybe inspire another hobbyists to take it to the next level of insanity. :) lol

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way I wanted to share an idea with you. With a microscope and a little research you could probably determine the most common causes of fish illness and death. Gill clipping viewed under a microscope would reveal parasites as would a slide rubbed across the fishes body. Just a thought I wanted to share. Maybe inspire another hobbyists to take it to the next level of insanity. :) lol
I may get one in the future to mess around with but I wouldn’t have felt confident enough that I didn’t miss something. I would still be paranoid if my attempt didn’t find anything.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may get one in the future to mess around with but I wouldn’t have felt confident enough that I didn’t miss something. I would still be paranoid if my attempt didn’t find anything.
I know. I mean for the future. It has been a blast for me. I figure anybody who was that determined to find a vet to do a necropsy has enough moxy to learn the value of a microscope.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, a nice little surprise when I saw the bill was only $72!
8115B415-2D09-4931-8AF3-7D0DBD4C3C0D.jpeg

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow sorry to hear about the accident but i will follow along to see what the autopsy said about the fish ive never heard of one being done on a fish before
Following along, very interested in the path report. If you get the written report, would love for you to post it! Sorry for your loss, and for your truck!

EDIT: Just found out my wife used to do fish necropsies on koi. Go figure.
I am loving this thread. Thank you for being willing to share your adventure. Hope your truck is back on the road soon.
These fish are so special - and so interactive - I'm so sorry for your loss. I had one - he was a nutcase - always wanting something - I found him on the floor one day - I bought another - thinking - ok - he jumped out of my tank (with cover) - a day later - I was devastated. So - I can feel your pain in part. I now have a better cover and a happy harlequin. But - The picture reminds me of my first - and im sorry
What a thread! Holy cow.

Sorry for your fishy loss. Following along to see what results will be!
I am interested in hearing the final results. At least your truck from I can see is some cosmetic damage. The quarter panel and hood are both fairly easy to replace at least. The headlight may even cost more the the new panels lol
Glad you were able to get a little bit of peace of mind from the necropsy! Hopefully nothing comes from the tissue samples.

It is a dream fish for me and I prayer I can get it when I get my 110-180G one day.
Hopefully I didn’t miss anyone that’s interested in the results.

CE68EBC8-C574-45F4-88B1-8A78DD964297.jpeg

JATReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see for you that there is nothing likely to affect your other fish. Shame that there are still no answers as to why you lost the fish though! Very interesting thread!

Mayerlyn A

Entre_Jardines
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad that it's not anything that can affect the rest of the fish. But having no answers why the fish passed, I assume can be frustrating.
Thank you for sharing. Hope your truck is back on track.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad that it's not anything that can affect the rest of the fish. But having no answers why the fish passed, I assume can be frustrating.
Thank you for sharing. Hope your truck is back on track.
I should have it back sometime next week. Insurance has provided me with a Dodge Charger rental while I wait.

It’s one of those wish I had answers but glad there isn’t anything just glaringly wrong in my tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right - Mine was totally awesome. though he bit me a couple of times lol:). I wish you the best
Harlequin:). glad did you got a partial answer - I'm surprised that they didnt comment further - I mean it had to 'die of something'. ?

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin:). glad did you got a partial answer - I'm surprised that they didnt comment further - I mean it had to 'die of something'. ?
I told the Vet that I was fairly certain that COD was that it starved since it quit eating but was looking for what may have caused it to quit eating. Maybe that is why he just stated that there was nothing found that led to its decline?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I told the Vet that I was fairly certain that COD was that it starved since it quit eating but was looking for what may have caused it to quit eating. Maybe that is why he just stated that there was nothing found that led to its decline?
it just goes to show - we don't know alot - curious - what were you feeding?

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it just goes to show - we don't know alot - curious - what were you feeding?
I fed many different frozen foods I alternate through different kinds at each feeding to keep things varied. I was feeding once in the morning (around 5:30), sometimes the Tusk was awake and sometimes not as is the same for my pink face wrasse. The afternoon feeding was when it ate (around 4pm) and it ate everything offered except for the algae foods.
Krill-whole
Hikari krill cubes
Hikari mega marine angel
Hikari mega marine algae
Mysis shrimp cubes
Jumbo mysis shrimp
Clam on half shell
Sushi nori
Scallop
Shrimp
Squid
Probably more I’m not thinking of now and also NLS pellets but I use them rarely.

I also use Selcon and Vita Chem

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very happy that there was no disease! Makes me feel better about my QT methods.

Interesting if it could have been a virus - or a toxin (metals causing liver or some other problem), etc etc. It might be a good idea (and I hate ICP tests in general) to send one in . And - organic toxins, etc won't be detected with an ICP - only single elements. Just a suggestion

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting if it could have been a virus - or a toxin (metals causing liver or some other problem), etc etc. It might be a good idea (and I hate ICP tests in general) to send one in . And - organic toxins, etc won't be detected with an ICP - only single elements. Just a suggestion
With all the rest of the stock acting normal and all eating great I’ll hold up on further testing. Definitely something to look into if problems reappear.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With all the rest of the stock acting normal and all eating great I’ll hold up on further testing. Definitely something to look into if problems reappear.
Frankly it could have been something from collection - even though it was months since it got to you. Still a sad issue to loose one of those

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it (mostly because people tend to be dense and dont believe me) but depending on where the fish was collected, could be cyanide damage. It can cause delayed organ failure.

Anthias are notorious for this, mostly because they are VERY difficult to catch without it. #1 reason I avoid any fish from the philippines... they used cyanide in massive amounts. How am i so sure? I have gone out on boats and witnesed them mix and use it.

Anyways, enough bad news. I'm glad it wasnt an obvious disease and the other fish are doing fine!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back