Any mail in necropsy services for hobbyists?

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it’s good that there was nothing found initially. Pretty sure if there was some sort of parasite it would have been found. I’m glad he took it a step further and is getting the organ tissues further looked at.
You’re all here for answers and I’ll give you what I get. The good, bad, and even my mistakes.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am loving this thread. Thank you for being willing to share your adventure. Hope your truck is back on the road soon.
Glad you’re enjoying this! The necropsy thing is not something I ever even thought about doing until this fish passed. Then, I had to have answers. I started second guessing my QT methods and trying to think of anything I may have missed or got cross contaminated. I’m pretty anal about things staying away from the DT especially once I’ve been working or even feeding my QT.

Haven’t got the final estimate for the truck but the adjuster told me it was coming in around $5,000. I pointed out a few things that she had overlooked but it wasn’t much. The figured about 8 business days or so to get it done. We will see.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a Harlequin Tusk pass about an hour ago while in my hand. It quit eating with vigor about 2 to 3 weeks ago and about a week ago completely quit eating. Tried many different foods. Came home today he wasn’t acting normal. Very weak and I easily net him from where it was resting on the return pipe.

I would like to find out if there was some kind of internal issue that caused this so I can prevent any further losses. I’ve got 14 other fish still in my DT all still eating and doing well.

Also, the tank is a fish only system. If found to be internal intestinal parasites is it possible to dose the DT. It’s 120 gallon with 40 sump.

I have the fish in a ziplock bag in the fridge. Any necropsy services known that I can mail the fish in to?

I’ve had this fish since January 2019 and it’s been in The DT since beginning of March.

B6B25D5D-6210-4635-A939-099FCCA9137C.jpeg 846C451C-81DA-4AA5-B996-D025F2633064.jpeg 2B8C2F53-AB80-43F1-9899-11BA053617F8.jpeg 07C6F5EC-31E8-4F3F-A2EE-033D6FA44D93.jpeg
These fish are so special - and so interactive - I'm so sorry for your loss. I had one - he was a nutcase - always wanting something - I found him on the floor one day - I bought another - thinking - ok - he jumped out of my tank (with cover) - a day later - I was devastated. So - I can feel your pain in part. I now have a better cover and a happy harlequin. But - The picture reminds me of my first - and im sorry

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of ugly! Time to get these clam shells picked out. The clowns in the acclimation box are destined for a 30 gallon tank in the fish room. It may be a while. I want to get a clean up crew in there then wait 76 days before moving these guys over. Then we’ll all root for some romance!
A42E13B2-5531-4A5C-BCBD-8AE0FD3BB399.jpeg

Here they are back when they were dating in QT!
6E75325E-50D6-4969-819D-7AE1D8B91F78.jpeg

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish are so special - and so interactive - I'm so sorry for your loss. I had one - he was a nutcase - always wanting something - I found him on the floor one day - I bought another - thinking - ok - he jumped out of my tank (with cover) - a day later - I was devastated. So - I can feel your pain in part. I now have a better cover and a happy harlequin. But - The picture reminds me of my first - and im sorry
Thanks for sharing. It was a must have fish for me. I’ll be finding another one some day. Got another 120 gallon out in the fish room that is sitting dry that may need one in it once it’s up and running.

I think my next purchase is a Candy Basslet. It’s another I’ve wanted and dreamed of since the first time I ever heard of and saw pictures of. Never have seen one in person though.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing. It was a must have fish for me. I’ll be finding another one some day. Got another 120 gallon out in the fish room that is sitting dry that may need one in it once it’s up and running.

I think my next purchase is a Candy Basslet. It’s another I’ve wanted and dreamed of since the first time I ever heard of and saw pictures of. Never have seen one in person though.
Right - Mine was totally awesome. though he bit me a couple of times lol:). I wish you the best

Mayerlyn A

Entre_Jardines
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you’re enjoying this! The necropsy thing is not something I ever even thought about doing until this fish passed. Then, I had to have answers. I started second guessing my QT methods and trying to think of anything I may have missed or got cross contaminated. I’m pretty anal about things staying away from the DT especially once I’ve been working or even feeding my QT.

Haven’t got the final estimate for the truck but the adjuster told me it was coming in around $5,000. I pointed out a few things that she had overlooked but it wasn’t much. The figured about 8 business days or so to get it done. We will see.
Crazy what a deer will do to a vehicle. I am a claims adjuster , I see deer total cars all the time.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in hearing the final results. At least your truck from I can see is some cosmetic damage. The quarter panel and hood are both fairly easy to replace at least. The headlight may even cost more the the new panels lol
Cool, glad to have you along for the journey. Hopefully I’ll have the truck back soon.

On my way home today from the body shop and picking up the rental I drove back where I hit the buck and someone has removed its antlers.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, glad to have you along for the journey. Hopefully I’ll have the truck back soon.

On my way home today from the body shop and picking up the rental I drove back where I hit the buck and someone has removed its antlers.
That is so sad. They will probably take credit for the kill. They could have at least taken the whole deer.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you were able to get a little bit of peace of mind from the necropsy! Hopefully nothing comes from the tissue samples.

It is a dream fish for me and I prayer I can get it when I get my 110-180G one day.
@albano has had 2 recently go blind. Seams to be thinking there might me some connection to the collection practices (cyanide) for the Aussie tusks. I wonder what if anything might show on a necropsy due to cyanide poisoning?

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@albano has had 2 recently go blind. Seams to be thinking there might me some connection to the collection practices (cyanide) for the Aussie tusks. I wonder what if anything might show on a necropsy due to cyanide poisoning?
Now that would be interesting to know.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back