Any mid-range priced reef tanks?

KevBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade from my nano to a 75-90 gallon tank. Looking around, all I see are the non-drilled and non-reef-ready options or the incredibly expensive options from places like Red Sea.

I'm sure the expensive options are great. But surely there's something in the middle price-wise?

All suggestions greatly appreciated!

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SCA is likely going to be your best budget friendly option. Just because I have an SCA build thread does not mean I am advocating for them except for their price point.

There is plenty wrong with SCA and, if you go that route, just get the tank/stand and use your own gear including bulkheads.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages and his company glass cages have some pretty darn good prices. When I finally do go for my dream sized tank, he will have my business without a doubt.

He does completely custom or traditional dimensions if I understood his website correctly.

he’s also just a gem of a human being. Give glass cages a look if you haven’t already.

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SCA is pretty good seapora is an option.
Right now with the limitations on glass and imports I would consider maybe purchasing a lightly used one?

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade from my nano to a 75-90 gallon tank. Looking around, all I see are the non-drilled and non-reef-ready options or the incredibly expensive options from places like Red Sea.

I'm sure the expensive options are great. But surely there's something in the middle price-wise?

Reefready from good ol marineland and aga/aqueon. Work just fine on a budget. Bonus, the seams don't tend to bust out on them.

Glass cages isn't bad on cost either.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both aqueon and marineland offer drilled "reef ready" tanks. Marineland will have corner overflows, and aqueon are generally against the back wall.

Deep blue if you can find them used are generally a good option.

Seapora and Aquarium masters are other mass market brands.

@Joe Glass Cages would be a great resource if you want something other than something offered at big box stores but arent ready to take the plunge on a waterbox or redsea tank

And for what it's worth, if you're going 90g but want something different glass cages has a 95g long, 72x18x17 for $634.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 90 gallon and 125 gallon Aqueon Reef ready tanks. I've been very pleased. They were the best prices I could find for these sizes at the time. The LFS I purchased from came down off the list price, so you may want to shop around. I have heard that the mfg. inventory is down due to Covid. I got mine last June.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 90 gallon and 125 gallon Aqueon Reef ready tanks. I've been very pleased. They were the best prices I could find for these sizes at the time. The LFS I purchased from came down off the list price, so you may want to shop around. I have heard that the mfg. inventory is down due to Covid. I got mine last June.
You got yours right before supply started to run out.

I have an aqueon 180, drilled for the overflow on the short side by aqueon. If you look at the silicone you can tell it's built as fast as possible, the frame hides allot of the sloppiness in the silicone. The vertical seams are flawless though.

OP
OP
K

KevBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefready from good ol marineland and aga/aqueon. Work just fine on a budget. Bonus, the seams don't tend to bust out on them.

Glass cages isn't bad on cost either.
I've been doing my online research, and I can't parse what aga stands for. Could you tell me the full name of that brand?

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing my online research, and I can't parse what aga stands for. Could you tell me the full name of that brand?
I really should not have bothered putting it as it's getting to be a bit dated but that was all glass aquariums which is now aqueon. So if you see an aga for sale on the used market just know it's an aqueon. Aqueon and marineland both come with lifetime guarantees on large tanks, of course the tank is the least of your worries if a 180g splits open but it is something not offered by many of the lower volume prettier alternatives. Covid probably has it all jacked up but there was a time when marineland and or aqueon would do semi custom work for cheap. You could opt for low iron, or drilled in oddball spots etc on custom orders. That's fairly unique in a high volume type company.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really should not have bothered putting it as it's getting to be a bit dated but that was all glass aquariums which is now aqueon. So if you see an aga for sale on the used market just know it's an aqueon. Aqueon and marineland both come with lifetime guarantees on large tanks, of course the tank is the least of your worries if a 180g splits open but it is something not offered by many of the lower volume prettier alternatives. Covid probably has it all jacked up but there was a time when marineland and or aqueon would do semi custom work for cheap. You could opt for low iron, or drilled in oddball spots etc on custom orders. That's fairly unique in a high volume type company.
Marineland discontinued the custom program a few years ago.

Aqueon will still do custom drilling for specific hole sizes, or different overflow locations. I got my 180 drilled with the overflow on a short side for a peninsula tank.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Get a standard corner flow marine land tank. They sell them at every petco across the country and are generally under $200

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out fiji cube. I just got their 81 ext package. So far I am very impressed with them.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marineland discontinued the custom program a few years ago.

Aqueon will still do custom drilling for specific hole sizes, or different overflow locations. I got my 180 drilled with the overflow on a short side for a peninsula tank.
I was always shocked they ever had the custom. At least aqueon has the custom drilling still.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always shocked they ever had the custom. At least aqueon has the custom drilling still.
They way supply is right now, I would go with glass cages.

You could order a custom drilled from aqueon today and never know when it's coming in.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back