Any Midas Blenny experts? dark and hiding for months

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this fish is sick, but maybe just not happy? He has been dark and hiding for so long, maybe last 4-6 months or more. Seems like it has been worse and worse over time. I'm looking for advice on what to do.

Some basic info: he has been in the 40 breeder tank (mostly mushrooms, zoas, GSP) for almost a year. Eats pellets, frozen mysis and brine. Other tank inhabitants: pair of skunk clowns, springeri damsel, peppermint shrimp, some emerald crabs, unknown 100s of brittle stars. Everything else seems to be doing well. It is like he is depressed. Just sits in his cave all day unless he swims out (rare) to snag some food. I can't even get a picture of him. I have not tested the water for a long time but I do water change at least once month w/ RODI and IO reef crystals. Temp 78.5-79, PH 7.8-8.1 SG 1.025-1.026

One idea I have is that without my knowing, maybe mother clown gave him a few thrashings. She will bite the $%#@ out of my hand if I put it in her corner. And their nest is right nest door to his favorite cave spot. but I have never witnessed this. Other ideas: stray voltage? I don't have a ground plug. but you know what, I am ordering one RIGHT NOW! any other ideas?

:(
70308280_900775880292725_2391529359115550720_n.jpg

and here is a pic when I just added him almost a year ago exactly...

44118639_356802088393367_2930617814270083072_n (1).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pedal Dangit

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it just may be territorial behavior? The damsel and the clowns both have their spots in he tank. Although I have never seen any fights or nipping, they all display some "puffing up" at each other now and then. sorry for the low quality cell video. I tired to capture his swimming behavior.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can't tell anything from the video, but i doubt a springer damsel would concern a midas. midas can actually be fairly mean and stand up for themselves pretty well, i've seen mine go at it with my flame angel once or twice, never seen it have issues with my clowns, though. and some people have said their midas will straight up attack other fish :eek:

does it eat well? mine was really timid around me for months, if my hands go in the tank or anything he goes and hides and turns black. he has gotten more used to me being around the tank, but doesn't come out to greet me or anything of that sort. but he also isn't about to turn down some food when it arrives..

sorry can't help much beyond that. clowns can be mean so maybe that's it? do you ever watch the tank from far away? mine does weird stuff when i'm not near the tank, but my tank is in my living room so i can see it from 10+ feet away from my couch. my midas loves to grab a mouthful of sand and disperse it into the water column..

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blenny (the guy in my profile) behaved that way after he got beat up by my dottyback. After I rehomed the dotty it got a little better but not much.

My money is on the clownfish.

OP
OP
Pedal Dangit

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the input. not much I can do I guess until I set up another larger tank someday. AND yes, eating. pellet food, frozen mysis and brine

does anyone think adding another more fish to the mix may change things up? I have thought about it. 2 more damsels? a pygmy angel? hmmm, really need to set up that 120 gallon.

I finally got a little better picture where you can see more of him:

70668159_1101532023384427_7974082182069092352_n.jpg

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could relocate the clown fish territory to the other side of the tank. Or redo the aquascape altogether. Although this will stress the Blenny out it would force everyone to reestablish home
base.Maybe just add some more caves and crevices with the Blenny in mind.

OP
OP
Pedal Dangit

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One year later... still the same. Nothing changed. Still dark. Still hides in the cave rock all the time. Seems healthy otherwise.... weird

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These fish have a big personality. Some have very different personalities. Unless something is picking at him, then it’s just Midas behavior. I’m on my second Midas Blenny and he is also darker than when I got him two years ago. Probably just attitude. Happy Thanksgiving!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.3%
Back