Any Military Memorabilia Gurus Here?

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cleaning out some of my things in the closet today & ran across something that I had forgotten all about.

I have a Purple Heart medal... I have had it for a very long time, now, but I never really looked into it. I'm not sure if it is real or fake, or what era it is from. There is no name engraved on the back, only the words, 'FOR MILITARY MERIT'.

Does anyone here know anything about them? I'm curious!

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats pretty sweet, do you remember where you got it or anything?

That reminds me tho, I need to go see if anyone in the fam found where me n my late grandpa stashed his WWII stuff when I was younger for me to pass on to my son eventually.

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was back when I was still in high school, so maybe 6 or 7 years ago? I remember going into this really strange antique shoppe & seeing it in a display case full of clutter. I ended up buying it for like $20 because I'm a military brat & I love that kind of stuff. I've kept it safe & now I want to know more about it! : )

jju2b9.jpg

ixe3gm.jpg

.Marshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you want to know about them? I have a slightly large interest in Military History, with my family's long standing service to the military and being apart of the Military myself I like to think I know a thing or two.

I recently was given my late grandpa's original Silver Star, Purple Heart, and Air Medal he received in WWII. He passed away about 2 weeks ago and some of the things we are finding are remarkable.

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to know how old it is! : )

& my condolences to you & your family. My friend's grandfather was in WWII & he actually left my friend one of the **** flags he stole when he was in Germany. It smells like old books... I love it. When he was alive, he showed me his old photos from the war. He had pictures from when he & his group were living in the Palace of Versailles in France. <3

Last edited:

.Marshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to know how old it is! : )

& my condolences to you & your family. My friend's grandfather was in WWII & he actually left my friend one of the **** flags he stole when he was in Germany. It smells like old books... I love it. When he was alive, he showed me his old photos from the war. He had pictures from when he & his group were living in the Palace of Versailles in France. <3

Well, looking at my Grandfathers purple heart in which he recieved back in 1945, and looking at that one, yours looks to be in REALLY good shape, I would think that medal would only be 20-30 years old tops. I will try and get a picture of my grandpas on here soon but his is old (and it shows it) even though it has been in a case for over 50 years.

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, since there is no serial number or name on it, it will be impossible to find its owner. : (

I had already checked on that when I first bought it.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Grandfather received a purple heart in WWII, but sadly I have no idea where that medal went off to after his death.

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted a guy who is a collector of military medals & memorabilia, so maybe we will get some leads as to how old it is. Despite how shiny it is, the actual form of it seems to look like the pictures of the medals from the 40's that I've seen... but surely it isn't THAT old.

jikm2187

Chalice Baller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here you go Emily. Given what I do know, I do know that all purple hearts awarded both posthumously and for merit are engraved. Now since it wasn't engraved that means it was never awarded. That can mean two things from what I understand. It was surplus or it was a reject at inspection in the factory. From what I found, based of the brooch yours is a 1942-43 style purple heart. But it would be serial numbered if it were surplus from 100,000-600,000. The serial number can be found on the side of the heart. Just so you don't think I had all this in my head for this specific rainy day. Here is a picture.

Now I knew that current purple hearts are engraved and serial numbered, so I just googled "purple heart engraved" and found a pretty cool site that broke the purple heart styles all the way down to the engraving style.

Attachments

• image-1480524090.jpg
    image-1480524090.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The collector e-mailed me back & told me it was from WWII, isn't that amazing? That thing is older than I am!

Does anyone have any pieces they wanna show off?

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have GWOT ( global war on terrorism) Global war on terrorism expeditionary, NDM (national defense medal), DOT 911 MEDAL, 2x battle E ribbon , meritorious unit commendation , Coast Guard sea service, Coast guard special operation, Meritorious unit commendation, they are not in correct order of importance just listed them real fast these are my most important. And thanks to any one else who has served this great country of ours.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back