Any newbie friendly butterflies?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zionas
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 6, 2020
Messages
6,068
Reaction score
3,491
Location
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know “beginner” and “butterfly” usually never go together, but I am entertaining the idea of keeping one for my 4 foot 105-gallon tank. I know only a few species are suitable for a beginner, and that only a small number of species are suitable overall for hobbyists. If it’s going to be my first (and only) butterfly, what do you suggest?

I have a few questions:

1. How’s their hardiness and feeding requirements compared to the hardy species of dwarf angels?

2. Are they very prone to disease or are they relatively disease resistant? If they’re susceptible to diseases, which ones are they most susceptible to?


3. Are they easily stressed out? Do they handle tank transfers or even tank moves well?


4. How long can they usually live for?


5. Will they be able to thrive in a new system? (I am asking because peaceful fish should be added first)


6. Will they be bullied or harassed by the other fish I plan to include? (Ocellaris Clowns, Marine Betta, Flame Hawks, Basslets, Dwarf Angel)
 
Last edited:
All butterflies are for the more advanced. They are not hardy. They should be added before more aggressive fish or use a acclimation box. Live black worms for food is a way to become more successful.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new