Any Octupus owners?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gordy2988
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

gordy2988

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 10, 2019
Messages
15
Reaction score
5
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wonder if any here has an octopus in their tank? I know they like to escape often, just wondering if anyone has successfully kept one??
 
A very good friend of mine had one for many years. The dude was an escape artist. Ended up fashioning a c-clamp kinda setup to keep it in the tank. But it was so cool. You could feed it by hand - carefully :D
He lived near the ocean and used ocean water in the tank. Also needed a chiller to keep the water cool enough; he made one out of an old mini fridge.
 
Do you know what kind your friend had? I researched this a while ago and it seemed like most types live only a year. That was what caused me to throw the idea out the window.

Super cool idea though. I would love it. I caught one while fishing in the Gulf of Mexico last year. And by caught I mean a water bottle floated by and I grabbed it to clean up the beach a bit and out he crawled!
 
Sorry but it has been years ago. It was in the Pacific off of SoCal. It was pretty small about 12” when he brought it home and set up the tank. No internet back then and lots of trial and error LOL (lots of escapes into his apartment). He had it for at least a couple of years. Very cool
 
I kept one yrs ago it was a pigmy octopus only about 2inch kept him in a 10gl tank with lid that was taped shut kept a weight on lid to keep it from escaping was fun but it hide more then it was out. Had it for almost a yr.
 
I did a behind a scenes at my local aquarium for Octopus. The trick to keep them in the tank for them was AstroTurf around the top they wouldn’t walk across it.
Neat! Never heard that one before.

Did they mention how thick of a stripe?


Still working on my octopus/angler/seahorse/pipe fish tanks.
Still just dreams.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new