Any property lawyers on here?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Joined
Nov 26, 2011
Messages
7,296
Reaction score
6,388
Location
PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if anyone is a property lawyer that could help me with a question about a lawsuit. I won a judgement against an old neighbor years ago and had to put a lien on their house after they refused to pay. Now lucky me, they are being foreclosed on and their bank is coming after me to get priority on their payout. The house is worth around $125k and they're suing for $30k so I'm not concerned about getting paid from the sale, but I am worried that this lawsuit will show up on my credit report if the judge agrees with them.

I plan to check if they actually filed their lien before I did, but that's my hail mary at this point. Thanks in advance if anyone has suggestions!
 
I'm not seeing how a lien you have against another party would show up on your credit report. The bank may just be trying to leverage the Court to try to get an upperhand so they're the first to pay. They can't sue you for damages; you didn't do anything wrong.

Perhaps a lawyer could suggest some stipulation with the Bank that could ensure you're both paid from any proceedings on a percentage basis?

GL
 
The bank is just trying to get the upperhand, but they named me as a defendant. There will certainly be money leftover, I just don't want this to look like a judgement against me.
 
I'm not a lawyer and I don't claim to be an expert, but I don't see how they have any financial or damages claim against you, especially one that could affect your credit or financial position
 
I'm not a lawyer but tried buying a house from foreclosure on my aunt. The first mortgage is priority they will auction the house possibly for less then owed depending upon bidding. Then everyone else will be left hanging out to dry. My aunt owed 72k I had 85k offer to them they screwed with auction dates and auction sold for 62k said they'd never let me get it because I caused trouble for them so they'd rather take a loss to write off then make money even. Her house was worth 165k by appraisal so value has nothing to do with foreclosure auction. You may have to go back after the people again. You really need a lawyer to protect your interest.
 
They aren't suing me for damages. They are suing me for precedence. If they win it just means they can collect before me. The concern is my credit report, not financial loss.
 
Correct, I knew they weren't suing you. They are just going for a better spot in line. Best thing to do is go to a lawyer and see if there's any ways to stop it
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 38 31.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new