Any reason not to get a Calcium Reactor?

richfavinger

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 16, 2012
Messages
68
Reaction score
1
Location
Pottstown, PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason not to get a Calcium Reactor?
Other then money...

I've always done 2-Part, and have dosing pumps... The tanks demand is light for the moment, because I'm still getting corals. The trace elements and automaton perk my interests. - A Kalk reactor did come to mind for the mid-step. But I read too many tank disasters involving Kalk OD's ... Unless I'm missing something that seems kind of impossible with a calcium reactor.

If I do do this, we're not holding any thing back...
CarbonDoser Electronic CO2 Regulator and a GEO 612 or 618 ... all set by my Apex... So in all it will run about $800 with all the bells...
 
Just like anything, things can go south quickly. Everything has a component that can get stuck, from float switch to solenoid.

I've got both routes and prefer the calcium reactor but you still have to continue to test and adjust. I use TLF reborn media, basically dead corals. It breaks down everything that live corals use to take in and puts it back into the tank. Good and the bad.
 
I also prefer a calcium reactor to dosing. I started with a cheap ebay model 11 years ago and eventually replaced it with a Geo. During the interim I dosed both manually and with a Kangaroo pump and the reactor is by far the better choice. Not quite "set and forget" but very close once you have it dialed in with a pH controller.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new