Any Reefers in Hawaii?

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from oahu, it is actually illegal on the islands to collect, buy, sell, and ship corals, natural live rock, live inverts, and live copepods to Hawaii. And starting in the new year it will be illegal to catch, buy, or sell native hawaiian fish and any fish surrounding the islands. Because of this we are limited to FOWLR systems, and fish prices are going to rise on the islands. The live rock has to start dry or be aquacultured by a licensed person its mainly from molokai. You can not take any natural live rock from the ocean. It makes marine tanks difficult but not impossible, I have a 75 gallon tank with multiple Hawaii native fish from before the ban as well as a mandarin goby, blue spot goby, scooter blenny, 2 pairs of clowns and a flame angel. all my live rock started as dry rock its important to read and know the laws for the islands before starting because people will ship things here and some people get away with it, others are confiscated and people fined during random checks.

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HawaiiTanks808, I used to live in Ewa and Makakilo for a bit. I miss being able to go out to Electric Beach on the weekends.

Yeah I'm in old town Ewa, I live right on the beach at hau bush, but I work 70 hour weeks now so I was going through withdrawals from the ocean and decided to do a larger tank for the first time on my own , we've had some over the years growing up but I've personally only done Nanos. Right now I'm trying to find a way to get an anenome that will work with my tank after its been up for a year, we can have them for now but majorly restricted on how we can get them.

OP
OP
ReeferWarrant

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet, yeah I was stationed at Schofield so rented a house next to the Safeway. Jealous you have all of that there, probably going to be crazy for me to start a new tank there.

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet, yeah I was stationed at Schofield so rented a house next to the Safeway. Jealous you have all of that there, probably going to be crazy for me to start a new tank there.

Yeah its definitely not easy to do here, but between pet depot, coral fish hawaii, and the petcos on island it is definitely doable and you can find some interesting fish every once in a while. Coral fish will actually special order anything you ask for as far as fish go, as long as its allowed here and they can get them in. If you are on Facebook you can follow coral fish hawaii and see a pretty good idea of what they get and they always update on their new shipments.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back