Any regrets having pistol shrimp/goby pair?

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the moment I have 2 fire shrimps in that aquarium. One of the have been there for the tanks whole lifetime (+5 years) - The pistol - nearly the same.

Sincerely Lasse
I went to the LFS today and got the Fire shrimp I had my eye on for a month. He promptly disappeared into a cave.

I did find this awesome little fish while there, another Goby. I have so many gobies now lol.

Watch closely and you can see him pick up the sand and munch, and it falls out of his gills, so cool to watch..

Video of sand shifting goby

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two aquarium running - One is the flagship with all technical equipments you can find - the other is a just fill top of water and do WC aquarium. Every time when I take out saltwater from my flagship (running Core 7 - it slowly rise the salinity) I use that perfect water to my small aquaria.

Only anemones, softies, GSP and mushrooms in that tank. Three months ago - I bough a high fin goby to that aquarium and a month later a very small pistol shrimp - red-white - Alpheus randalli. Its only 90 L but with a lot of rubble in the bottom. Have not seen either of them since I put them in. Yesterday - when I had friends for dinner - I show them this aquarium saying that it just is here. I feed - and suddenly - I saw the shrimp!!!. Today when I feed - I look closer and believe it or not - both the goby and the shrimp show their noses. And in my large - I have seen the A.bellus but not the goby for 5 days - but I+m rather sure it will show up.

Sincerely Lasse

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had high fin goby and pistol shrimp that formed symbiotic relationship which lasted a couple of months, I introduced a fire shrimp which found itself inside cave of both goby and pistol, a month later my goby was kicked out and fire shrimp and pistol shrimp still living together. my goby could not find an ideal place to hide or set up a new area for itself and unfortunately my goby died.
I think my only regret is allowing fire shrimp to take over, I should of moved it into another area of my aquarium, I read about fish stress on reef2reef and along with answers to my goby, I just think poor guy got stressed out by being kicked out :(
Only regret is allowing fire shrimp to be the boss lol

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having a hard time keeping a Goby with my pistol. I am afraid the pistol keeps eating them. The last goby I gave to him seemed to make it about a month before never being seen again. I am reluctant t to try an keep finding the Shrimp a mate.

The sand shifting goby in the video above jumped out, a real shame because he had a ton of personality. I got a new sand shifting goby, but he is very shy, no where near as much fun as the first one :(

wheels4896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little tank was doing great until I got my watchman goby a candy cane pistol...They paired up right away, but a week or so later the firefish my goby was sharing a cave with disappeared, and a couple weeks after that my watchman is gone. It's a 20g peninsula, so I can see all the possible entry/exit points. Fiance has seen the shrimp, no sign of goby :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back