Any regrets having pistol shrimp/goby pair?

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new tank and I'm ready to add a goby. I had a YWG before & really enjoyed them without a shrimp.
Anyone regret getting a pair & why?

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're great additions to any tank. Just make sure you add in extra shells of varying sizes or small pieces of dried/dead coral. In my 120 my pistol would steal frags that were on the sand and drag them into the burrow. I've since downgraded and my new pistol leaves the frags alone in favor of the rubble and shells.

They will make piles of sand in your tank like a sand sifting goby as well.

The only real con to them is depending on where they decide to make their burrow you may never see them.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love having the pair in my tank. The only time I could imagine someone regretting them, is if they have the tank in their room at night while they try and sleep. You will hear the occasional popping noise.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair and although I did enjoy them, I wouldn't do a pistol shrimp again. I had a tiger pistol, I didn't mind the snail killing but he did steal some nice frags. You can remedy that by placing your frags out of reach or gluing them down. The reason I wouldn't keep another tiger pistol shrimp was the sand storms and covering up lps on the sandbed like my plates and brains.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love em. And hate em. Mostly love em. Haven’t seen em in a week since rescape after getting two fish out. Burrowed WAY deep.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically include a Yasha and pistol in my tanks. Never had any issues. Never even had them go after my smallest of snails. Never had them remove frags... but all mine are typically glued into place pretty early. I don't think I ever put any near their openings. Hands down my wife's favorite things in my tank.

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a favia that smelled like death when I got it and was bleached. I moved it down to the sand to shade it last week. No problems. Wake up this morning and it is gone...
I can’t have any corals within 12” from their burrow or they will either bury it or use it as a door for their home

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a favia that smelled like death when I got it and was bleached. I moved it down to the sand to shade it last week. No problems. Wake up this morning and it is gone...
You’re kidding me.. I really really don’t want to evict...

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this wasn't a scouting mission.
20180629_192817.jpg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back