Any regrets having pistol shrimp/goby pair?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this wasn't a scouting mission.
20180629_192817.jpg
Ain't you frag anymore, lol!

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair and although I did enjoy them, I wouldn't do a pistol shrimp again. I had a tiger pistol, I didn't mind the snail killing but he did steal some nice frags. You can remedy that by placing your frags out of reach or gluing them down. The reason I wouldn't keep another tiger pistol shrimp was the sand storms and covering up lps on the sandbed like my plates and brains.

I'll only keep Randalls now. I had a couple tigers in the past and they got fairly aggressive. One got huge and killed a couple of my smaller fish. May have just been bad luck on my part, but who knows.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only regret is having to replace the pistol every now and again. I’ve had terrible luck keeping them.
I loved my goby/pistol pair (Phineas and Furb). I bought them from a local reefer as a bonded pair. When my pistol died my goby was all out of sorts. I bought 2 more in the mail (2 different times) and both died shortly after. I don't think they ship well.

I bought a carribean shrimp from the LFS that told me it would bond with the goby, but they were wrong. The shrimp has made quite an impressive tunnel system, but snaps at the goby when he tries to go in. I feel awful for the goby because he wants to be friends, but I am stuck with a mean pistol who seems very healthy.

Do your research, If anything, get a tiger pistol. You are almost guaranteed compatibility. I think it is easier to find a shrimp living goby, than a goby loving shrimp.

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my big regret. I bought a Yellow Watchman Goby and Pistol shrimp several months ago. I put them in the tank and as the shrimp was floating to the bottom something spooked him. He shot to the back of the tank and I haven't seen him since. The Yellow watchman Goby hung out for about a week but after that I guess he found his buddy because I haven't seen him since either.
Look for digging. I bet they turn up. I had a goby that hung in the back (no shrimp) but moved to front months later.

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 pr of Wheeler's gobies with shrimp in my 185gl. Each pr is on opposite sides of the tank, I've only been able to see 3 at one time & it took 2 mths after putting them in the tank to see them out of their homes that I pre setup before buying them.
20180527_150910.jpg
Awesome! They are interesting. My goby has been missing for two days now :’(

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love and hate here too. They have buried a lot and change the look of my sand bed every day. However - If I lose them - I buy a new pair - they are awesome to look at.

Just look here

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love and hate here too. They have buried a lot and change the look of my sand bed every day. However - If I lose them - I buy a new pair - they are awesome to look at.

Just look here

Sincerely Lasse

Amazing to watch. Thanks for sharing:)

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yasha and Randall's are getting along great and since the Randall's are small I'm not too worried about losing livestock or substrate issues.

Yashas are so unique. I love all the variety in different goby species.

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my pair of yellow watchmans and my pistol shrimp. It adds more moving parts to the aquarium. It’s fun watching them. Every now and then they will move for a week or two to a place where u can’t see them. But eventually they keep diggin and end up moving but towards the front of the tank. Ever since my first pair I haven’t had a tank without them.

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my YWG / fine-striped pistol pair. After initial shyness, mine seem to enjoy being front and centre. The shrimp keeps moving burrows but usually makes entrances in the front so I always see them. For such a tiny creature, his engineering skills are amazing! They keep the sand in the half of the tank (6’) they hang out in beautifully white. Now I’m thinking of putting another goby/shrimp couple in the other half of the tank.

Mine is one of the smaller alpheus shrimp - maybe they make less of a sandstorm? I’ve given him some rubble/shells & he’s happy moving those around.

BTW I’ve found that when the shrimp is molting, my goby stays hidden underground with him for a few days. They are a sweet couple:D

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back