Monster/oni shrimpgoby, Tomiyamichthys oni, safe with shrimp and pico fish?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone kept these? I'm reading they get to about 4" long and pair with tiger pistol shrimp. Seems like a normal enough shrimpgoby, just strange-looking and unusual. Mostly what I'm wondering is, will they try to eat small shrimp and tiny fish, i.e. anemone shrimp and neon or trimma gobies?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be good. From what I see looks to eat zooplankton and small benthic inverts probably pods of some such size. Multiple places list as reef safe. Maybe some thing like sexy shrimp may be at risk once fish is full grown.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oddly, this site says they're difficult to keep well fed, and suggests four feedings a day. Seems strange for a shrimpgoby.

It also says they dig deep burrows, which wouldn't work in my tank- I have a shallow sandbed. Enough for the pistol shrimp to dig and for a goby to fit comfortably, but the floor of its burrow is the floor of the tank in a good few spots.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly, this site says they're difficult to keep well fed, and suggests four feedings a day. Seems strange for a shrimpgoby.

It also says they dig deep burrows, which wouldn't work in my tank- I have a shallow sandbed. Enough for the pistol shrimp to dig and for a goby to fit comfortably, but the floor of its burrow is the floor of the tank in a good few spots.
Yeah that was one place I read about them too. That is a go to for me when I dont know about a fish. Seems pretty on point most times.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back