Yet another: Please help stock my 15 AIO with one more peaceful nano fish

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I recently got back into the reefing game with a small IM Nuvo Fusion 15 AIO that I am planning to upgrade to at least a 40 gallon (likely larger) in the near future, but for now I'm seeking recommendations for fish that can live long-term in my 15. My last reef tank was many years ago, and was a 125 gallon, so these little nano tanks and their inhabitants are new to me.

I'm looking for suggestions on one more very small, very peaceful fish I can add to what I already have, if this is possible.

Currently, the tank has been running since November 13th with aquacultured live rock and sand and the various critters that came with the rock (snails, hermits, a Mithrax crab, etc.). Recently ( January 14th) I brought home a tank raised Yasha goby and a Randall's pistol shrimp, which I think could be the stars in a 15 gallon AIO. Then (January 19th), I also brought home a Tailspot Blenny, which I thought would be a good fit with the goby and pistol shrimp. I currently have both fish in a QT tank under observation while they fully acclimate, then I plan to do a medicated QT protocol on them both.

I'm just wondering if there's maybe one more peaceful fish that I could add to my mix that, most importantly, would not hurt the Randall's pistol shrimp, which is maybe 3/4" long and beyond tiny? If possible, I'd like to identify and try to acquire this last fish ASAP, so I can acclimate it and then medicate it along with my Yasha goby and Tailspot Goby. If not, then not a problem. I will move forward with the medicated QT on the Yasha and Tailspot.

I'm not looking for a clown right now, I consider them at least semi-aggressive, and if I add a clown it will be well after the more timid fish have had a good chance to settle in. I'd love a wrasse, but I think even the "peaceful" possum wrasse would take out my Randall's pistol shrimp and maybe other motile inverts. Firefish gobies are not really my favorite, but they are on my list as a peaceful possibility.

I'm considering adding an ORA tank raised neon cleaning goby that my LFS has in stock. Having been out of the hobby for a while, I have never seen this variation on the neon goby that has a bright yellow/gold head. I thought this fish is both nice looking and "useful", and I don't believe these little cleaner gobies would go after my pistol shrimp or any other inverts.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please know my budget is +/- $100 for this fish, and would prefer less as I'm just getting back into the hobby, so please nothing to exotic.

Thank you for your help!

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the cleaner would be find once you've moved up to the 40 but not for the 15. Even though it's captive bred its instinctive behavior is very, very active.

A Chromis or three would work well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I recently got back into the reefing game with a small IM Nuvo Fusion 15 AIO that I am planning to upgrade to at least a 40 gallon (likely larger) in the near future, but for now I'm seeking recommendations for fish that can live long-term in my 15. My last reef tank was many years ago, and was a 125 gallon, so these little nano tanks and their inhabitants are new to me.

I'm looking for suggestions on one more very small, very peaceful fish I can add to what I already have, if this is possible.

Currently, the tank has been running since November 13th with aquacultured live rock and sand and the various critters that came with the rock (snails, hermits, a Mithrax crab, etc.). Recently ( January 14th) I brought home a tank raised Yasha goby and a Randall's pistol shrimp, which I think could be the stars in a 15 gallon AIO. Then (January 19th), I also brought home a Tailspot Blenny, which I thought would be a good fit with the goby and pistol shrimp. I currently have both fish in a QT tank under observation while they fully acclimate, then I plan to do a medicated QT protocol on them both.

I'm just wondering if there's maybe one more peaceful fish that I could add to my mix that, most importantly, would not hurt the Randall's pistol shrimp, which is maybe 3/4" long and beyond tiny? If possible, I'd like to identify and try to acquire this last fish ASAP, so I can acclimate it and then medicate it along with my Yasha goby and Tailspot Goby. If not, then not a problem. I will move forward with the medicated QT on the Yasha and Tailspot.

I'm not looking for a clown right now, I consider them at least semi-aggressive, and if I add a clown it will be well after the more timid fish have had a good chance to settle in. I'd love a wrasse, but I think even the "peaceful" possum wrasse would take out my Randall's pistol shrimp and maybe other motile inverts. Firefish gobies are not really my favorite, but they are on my list as a peaceful possibility.

I'm considering adding an ORA tank raised neon cleaning goby that my LFS has in stock. Having been out of the hobby for a while, I have never seen this variation on the neon goby that has a bright yellow/gold head. I thought this fish is both nice looking and "useful", and I don't believe these little cleaner gobies would go after my pistol shrimp or any other inverts.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please know my budget is +/- $100 for this fish, and would prefer less as I'm just getting back into the hobby, so please nothing to exotic.

Thank you for your help!
If you want a fish that would vanish in a 40, I recommend a Griessinger Goby. I love mine and he’s going on 3.5 years currently. There’s the downside that QT and these guys don’t always get along as I believe they're quite sensitive to copper.
IMG_0285.jpeg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions? It's possible a possum wrasse would fit. That would give you something that swims, rather than perches.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

A would love to do a possum wrasse, but I’m afraid he may go after my very small Randall’s pistol shrimp.

I’m interested in the clown goby, does anyone know if he would bother the pistol shrimp or any other shrimp or crabs?

The Griessinger goby looks great, but I think it would be too much like my Yasha goby.

I’m trying not to do a clownfish right now, and a fire fish is on my list, but I’d prefer something different if I can find something that goes well with my current fish and critters.

Thanks very much for the suggestions!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, if I have the Yasha goby already, can I safely add another goby, like the clown goby or a cleaner goby?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A would love to do a possum wrasse, but I’m afraid he may go after my very small Randall’s pistol shrimp.
No way. Possum wrasses are tiny with tiny mouths. Unless that shrimp is a baby the size of a Mysis shrimp.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, if I have the Yasha goby already, can I safely add another goby, like the clown goby or a cleaner goby?
Yep! I have 7-8 gobies in my SPS system, it’s only 3’x16”x1’ Tall.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What???? Nobody said tailspot? How can that happen?
IMG_20191018_095730240.jpg
Because I already have a tailspot ;-)

Yep! I have 7-8 gobies in my SPS system, it’s only 3’x16”x1’ Tall.
Good to know, I thought I read you can’t have more than one goby, but maybe it was you can’t have more than one of the shrimp gobies.

No way. Possum wrasses are tiny with tiny mouths. Unless that shrimp is a baby the size of a Mysis shrimp.
Possum wrasse would be a great addition for sure. I know you can’t always predict this kind of thing, but I researched this fish and at least some reported that I would eat shrimp. My pistol shrimp is so tiny, I’m even worried the tail spot may get him.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon cleaner gobies are cute too. Nothing seems to mind mine.
I’m definitely considering this. My LFS has these cool looking yellow headed cleaner gobies that are a hybrid some kind of yellow sleep goby, possibly. They are from ORA and I personally have never seen them before.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a fish that would vanish in a 40, I recommend a Griessinger Goby. I love mine and he’s going on 3.5 years currently. There’s the downside that QT and these guys don’t always get along as I believe they're quite sensitive to copper.
IMG_0285.jpeg
I find a lot of the small gobies and such are sensitive and don't do well in QT. I have a 10g with live rock that I keep running so I can put new additions in for observation before transferring to the displays. I have a spare 10 I can set up if something crops up and I need to medicate.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find a lot of the small gobies and such are sensitive and don't do well in QT. I have a 10g with live rock that I keep running so I can put new additions in for observation before transferring to the displays. I have a spare 10 I can set up if something crops up and I need to medicate.
First of all, great name!

I actually asked about this and was told that gobies would do just fine in a medicated QT. I asked specifically about the Yasha goby because he’s just so small and delicate looking. There’s also a chart here on R2R that shows what fish are susceptible to copper, and it lists gobies as a 1, which indicates they are not susceptible at all.

I’m not sure what’s the right thing to do.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what’s the consensus on whether or not a Possum Wrasse would go after my pistol shrimp? I’m definitely seeing where they do eat crustaceans. And in general do these guys eat any kind of prepared flaked or pellet food? I’m trying to avoid getting fish that can do well for up to a week when we go on vacation and will be using an auto feeder. My tank does have a healthy population of pods, I would think they’d eat those, right?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back