Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown goby or a rainsford goby for a more open swimming fish maybe
THank you for the suggestion. I was just reading about the Rainsford goby or Court Jester Goby, they seem like a possibility for sure.

I’m struggling to find half the fish I’m researching available for purchase, like a possum wrasse, for example. Biota currently has the Court Jester goby as well as the yellow clown goby mentioned earlier. Can we be fairly sure that my pistol shrimp will be safe around either of these fish?

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I’m really kind of leaning towards this Court Jester goby:

https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/collections/gobies/products/court-jester

This one is captive breed, so it take pellets. I think it kind of looks like a wrasse without having a wrasse-like attitude. Would this fish harm my pistol shrimp? Remember, my Randall’s/Candy Cane pistol shrimp is but a peanut of a shrimp.

And just to double check, would a court jester goby get along with a Yasha goby and a tail spot blenny?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, great name!

I actually asked about this and was told that gobies would do just fine in a medicated QT. I asked specifically about the Yasha goby because he’s just so small and delicate looking. There’s also a chart here on R2R that shows what fish are susceptible to copper, and it lists gobies as a 1, which indicates they are not susceptible at all.

I’m not sure what’s the right thing to do.
I can only speak to my personal experience and what works for me. I prefer not to treat fish prophylacticly (especially with antibiotics). Also in my experience a bare QT tank is pretty stressful on fish (especially small gobies) on its own, which may be the real killer here. For me it's just easier to keep an observation tank running with some mollies in it all the time i can stick fish in for a month of observation and then I can remove and treat them if necessary, which I've only had to do once with a royal gramma that developed fin rot.

BTW great choice with the yasha goby, they're awesome fish. My wife has one paired with a candycane pistol shrimp in her biocube. They're pretty hardy once they get settled and eat pretty much everything.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only speak to my personal experience and what works for me. I prefer not to treat fish prophylacticly (especially with antibiotics). Also in my experience a bare QT tank is pretty stressful on fish (especially small gobies) on its own, which may be the real killer here. For me it's just easier to keep an observation tank running with some mollies in it all the time i can stick fish in for a month of observation and then I can remove and treat them if necessary, which I've only had to do once with a royal gramma that developed fin rot.

BTW great choice with the yasha goby, they're awesome fish. My wife has one paired with a candycane pistol shrimp in her biocube. They're pretty hardy once they get settled and eat pretty much everything.
Thanks for your QT advice. I may rethink my plan, I don’t know, I’ve had so many people tell me different things, but my gut tells me that the medications will be hard on small, delicate fish. Even with freshwater fish the very smallest always seem to be delicate, even if they’re considered hardy.

The Yasha goby seems very cool! I think the Yasha and the Randall’s pistol will be the stars in a 15 gallon. I was tempted to go for a larger goby thinking that if I upgraded the tank size my Yasha may get lost, but my LFS has one in a 70 gallon and he’s not lost at all. Mine is just now starting to act more confidently, I think in another day or so he’ll be fine.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what’s the consensus on whether or not a Possum Wrasse would go after my pistol shrimp? I’m definitely seeing where they do eat crustaceans. And in general do these guys eat any kind of prepared flaked or pellet food? I’m trying to avoid getting fish that can do well for up to a week when we go on vacation and will be using an auto feeder. My tank does have a healthy population of pods, I would think they’d eat those, right?

I have a possum in a AIO 14 peninsula and to me I think he needs more space. He's very active and he's been glass surfing more than I like.

Mine won't touch anything other than frozen mysis; I've had him almost a year now and he's still veryyyy choosy about what he eats. He wouldn't even have the reef nutrition "real oceanic eggs" or most of the mix in LRS.

He does eat pods, he's constantly hunting and scanning the rocks and sand. I haven't seen him attack anything bigger than a pod though; I have a lot of those tiny feather duster worms and he doesn't even pick at those really. I have (? had?) a candy cane pistol in there with him which I have not seen once since adding it, although there is intermittent snapping. He can eat whole mysis pieces no problem but I think the pistol would be too big for him.

THank you for the suggestion. I was just reading about the Rainsford goby or Court Jester Goby, they seem like a possibility for sure.

I’m struggling to find half the fish I’m researching available for purchase, like a possum wrasse, for example. Biota currently has the Court Jester goby as well as the yellow clown goby mentioned earlier. Can we be fairly sure that my pistol shrimp will be safe around either of these fish?
Not sure where you are located; I rarely see possums for sale online but my LFS gets them in decently often. Same with the clown gobies.

If the Biota captive bred rainsford goby will take prepared foods that would be my choice personally :) I had a hector's (very similar) for a few weeks and he was such a sweet addition to the tank; always going about his business and so calm, nicely active. I would recommend them if the feeding difficulties are avoided!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a possum in a AIO 14 peninsula and to me I think he needs more space. He's very active and he's been glass surfing more than I like.

Mine won't touch anything other than frozen mysis; I've had him almost a year now and he's still veryyyy choosy about what he eats. He wouldn't even have the reef nutrition "real oceanic eggs" or most of the mix in LRS.

He does eat pods, he's constantly hunting and scanning the rocks and sand. I haven't seen him attack anything bigger than a pod though; I have a lot of those tiny feather duster worms and he doesn't even pick at those really. I have (? had?) a candy cane pistol in there with him which I have not seen once since adding it, although there is intermittent snapping. He can eat whole mysis pieces no problem but I think the pistol would be too big for him.

Not sure where you are located; I rarely see possums for sale online but my LFS gets them in decently often. Same with the clown gobies.

If the Biota captive bred rainsford goby will take prepared foods that would be my choice personally :) I had a hector's (very similar) for a few weeks and he was such a sweet addition to the tank; always going about his business and so calm, nicely active. I would recommend them if the feeding difficulties are avoided!
Thank you for your help! I believe that most possum wrasses make for a model citizen, but I definitely read reports of them eating sexy shrimp. I think my pistol may be even a little smaller than a sexy, but I’d rather not risk it. I’m in Western New York and none of my local LFS’s have one, and I can’t really find one online.

I am really leaning toward the Court Jester Goby. One LFS near me gets at least some of their stuff from Biota, I’m going to ask them tomorrow if they can get this fish, and if not I’ll order directly from Biota. I like the idea that they are captive breed and take pellets (in fact, I read that wild caught can be hard to feed). I am trying to avoid anything like your possum wrasse that needs frozen all the time. We go out of town a handful of times a year, so all my fish and critters need to be able to go up to a week with only what falls out of an auto feeder.

Thanks again for your help!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back