Any risk associated with adding rock that's been stored outside completely exposed to the elements, to an established tank?

lovely_trequartista

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the term "established tank" loosely here. My first ever fish tank, it was set up on 11/29/2020. Cycled using Dr. Tims in 3 weeks give or take.

Initially I bought 4 large pieces of rock in a package deal from LFS. My understanding is the collection of rock was imitation rock made to look like wet live rock from the ocean.

Anyway, I used 3 pieces in my tank and labeled the fourth as excess and kind of just left it outside for 4+ months. Now I want to break up that last piece of rock and make some additions to my rockscape.

Kind of a silly question but is there any risk adding that rock to my tank? As mentioned in the title, it's just been sitting outside my front door exposed to the elements. The winters here are mild, dry sunny days with a moist marine layer that rolls in at night and burns off throughout the morning.

Thank you!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep all my extra rock in a pile in the back corner of my vegetable garden. When I get the urge I just go grab a chunk, rinse the spiders off, and toss it in wherever it's needed. Some of the rocks have been there for 20 years now.

And FWIW - just where is it you think rocks come from anyway?:);):)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 59 42.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 68 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.6%
Back