Any tangs for 45g?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely agree with this and why I'm trying to talk myself out of the purple for my 75g and wait a year.....but you had one in a 75g so you know how that might go, I should take my own advice and wait lol wish I had a tank ready right now for when he was bigger ;)

45zoagarden if your dad already has a 150g I say get it and move it. I know I might get a lot of heat for this but let's be honest....probably %80 of people reading this will say the same just not type it so they dont get bombarded.

You actually have a tank that is ready and set up for the tang when your little tank is no longer capable of supporting the tang. You are not being super bad lol and getting it in Hope to have another tank one day.

Catching a tang can be difficult as DSC said but they are easier as they get bigger and as long as it is healthy there shouldn't be any issues.

Good luck and keep us posted if you get it!!
I would go with the purple, just limits other fish you can keep. Purple tangs are my favorite fish and he was very healthy for many years.

U

User1

View Badges
I would go with the purple, just limits other fish you can keep. Purple tangs are my favorite fish and he was very healthy for many years.

Every time I see a post from you I am sad. Not because your post but because of your avatar picture. I've always wanted to pick up another purple, and have tried, but LA/DD always ships me DOA's. I ended up picking up a Scopus and Lavander. The Scopus will never, never, allow a Purple in the tank sadly.

I think they are my favorites too! Especially as they age the purple and yellow can be really striking. I'm also partial to adult Atlantic Blues for the similar reason. Hope you have a great day DSC!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I see a post from you I am sad. Not because your post but because of your avatar picture. I've always wanted to pick up another purple, and have tried, but LA/DD always ships me DOA's. I ended up picking up a Scopus and Lavander. The Scopus will never, never, allow a Purple in the tank sadly.

I think they are my favorites too! Especially as they age the purple and yellow can be really striking. I'm also partial to adult Atlantic Blues for the similar reason. Hope you have a great day DSC!
Trust me, I get sad too! He was a great fish but very bossy. He's still thriving at the LFS so I'd say he's about 12 years now.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My .02$. It has been suggested to me that I could get a blue hippo tang for my 120 gallon and keep it for a couple years till it gets too big and then give it to the LFS or a friend. Also, people have told me on here that it could work, give it a shot. I have always wanted one. I think this is cruel. 1. Why get a fish that you know will outgrow your tank? It's like when people get a St Bernard puppy in a one bedroom apartment. It's wrong. 2, This hobby can be a strain on wild population I think because of this "give it a shot" mentality. Yes, it has worked sometimes but most of the time not. People have already "given it a shot" and we should be responsible about this hobby and learn from their mistakes. Again, just my .02$

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My .02$. It has been suggested to me that I could get a blue hippo tang for my 120 gallon and keep it for a couple years till it gets too big and then give it to the LFS or a friend. Also, people have told me on here that it could work, give it a shot. I have always wanted one. I think this is cruel. 1. Why get a fish that you know will outgrow your tank? It's like when people get a St Bernard puppy in a one bedroom apartment. It's wrong. 2, This hobby can be a strain on wild population I think because of this "give it a shot" mentality. Yes, it has worked sometimes but most of the time not. People have already "given it a shot" and we should be responsible about this hobby and learn from their mistakes. Again, just my .02$
And thus why the debate is on going.....

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad has a 150 gallon at his house And could take the tang when it gets too big. How long would I have though? Particularly interested in yellow, yellow eye kole, and purple tangs.
If you really had to have a tang in that size tank, I would pick a tomini tang. I think they are quite hardy and not as aggressive as other tangs, especially in tight quarters.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about powder blue tangs?
I was told they were much too active for my tank which is 4 feet long and they need at least 6 feet long. After seeing a healthy one at my LFS I could see why. They swim very fast and are constantly going from one side to the other. In anything smaller than a 6 foot tank they would be very cramped and get very aggressive. Kind of like me in a Ford Fiesta.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks saf, I completely understand that they need a big tank. I’ve never personally kept a tang so I didn’t know if they were slower growers. I thought flame angels tend to nip at coral?

Dwarf and Pygmy Angels can nip at corals although CBs and Flames tend to have better odds of success than some of the others. Flames are a bit more likely IMHO to be aggressive to tankmates. Probably the best recommendation if you were looking at a Pygmy or Dwarf though would be the Cherubfish as they max out at 3 inches are hardy and many have had good luck with them and corals.

Here is an example of one:

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information! I really don’t know much about tangs as I’ve never owned a tank bigger than this 45 gallons and never really considered tangs. What about the copperband butterfly? Or pearl scale butterfly?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information! I really don’t know much about tangs as I’ve never owned a tank bigger than this 45 gallons and never really considered tangs. What about the copperband butterfly? Or pearl scale butterfly?

They get too large, and are more prone to eating corals than dwarf angels.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Copperband is delicate and gets way too big, Pearlscale would be better for size but would almost certainly mow down your corals (worse than any dwarf angel). The only Butterflyfish that would be close to a good fit for your tank would be this guy and he's still a pretty big gamble with corals:

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperband is delicate and gets way too big, Pearlscale would be better for size but would almost certainly mow down your corals (worse than any dwarf angel). The only Butterflyfish that would be close to a good fit for your tank would be this guy and he's still a pretty big gamble with corals:

The aculeatus is a bit big for a 45, I think Liveaquaria is being a little optimistic with the 50 gal minimum, and going even smaller than that is for sure pusing it. I think they probably are assuming a 4ft tank still. Butterflies are extremely intelligent and sensitive fish, a 45 seems painfully small and boring for one.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aculeatus is a bit big for a 45, I think Liveaquaria is being a little optimistic with the 50 gal minimum, and going even smaller than that is for sure pusing it. I think they probably are assuming a 4ft tank still. Butterflies are extremely intelligent and sensitive fish, a 45 seems painfully small and boring for one.

I agree 4 foot would be best, I was just giving an example of what would probably be the closest thing to a butterflyfish that would work for his tank (which still doesn't work very well).

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I completely understand I need a bigger tank for a tang. We are discussing a juvenile fish. Not a 6 inch fish.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't much evidence to suggest that juvenile tangs swim any less each day than adults. Perhaps in the few months after settlement, but by a year they are swimming just as much as the rest.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back