Any thoughts on putting corals on backside of live rock?

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I recently started a nano tank, I converted my fluval flex into a saltwater tank. I just want everyone’s thoughts on wether it’s ok to put corals on the back side of live rock. I feel kinda bad cause they’ll be kinda hidden. I recently ordered more frags from TSA due to their Black Friday live sale and I don’t want to over crowd the front cause of course I want to give space for other corals to grow. Do any of you guys put corals closer to the back of your live rock? I attached a photo of my nano so you guys get a better look.

IMG_2658.jpeg

Moonrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every tank and person is different. ive even seen people glue frags to the back glass or overflow before. as long as it has flow and light to live, its ultimately up to you. i have plenty of corals i cant see from any side but they have all the requirements to thrive.

OP
OP
K

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every tank and person is different. ive even seen people glue frags to the back glass or overflow before. as long as it has flow and light to live, its ultimately up to you. i have plenty of corals i cant see from any side but they have all the requirements to thrive.
I actually have a gsp glued to the back wall of my tank. But it does make me feel better that some people have corals that they can’t see from certain angles. I guess I get a little worried putting them somewhere I can’t see cause I like to observe and make sure they’re opening up and growing well

OP
OP
K

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll do fine, in fact once I finish covering the front side of my rockwork I want to eventually cover the back. The fish are probably wondering why only one side of the rock has coral lol
Lol I thought about that too in regards to the fish, we’re trying to replicate a little part of the ocean and their natural environment, so it’s probably weird not having coral towards the back of the rock work

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’m glad you put it that way, I guess it’s just me personally who feels bad about putting them in an area where they’re not noticeable
Seems like buying a nice picture and then putting it in a closet.
But in the end it's your tank. Your choice.

OP
OP
K

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like buying a nice picture and then putting it in a closet.
But in the end it's your tank. Your choice.
100% agree with that. But you are right it’s my tank at the end of the day I’m the one looking at it everyday and doing the maintenance on it. Most likely will do what benefits the corals best in the end.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
100% agree with that. But you are right it’s my tank at the end of the day I’m the one looking at it everyday and doing the maintenance on it. Most likely will do what benefits the corals best in the end.
You got it.
Sometimes we forget what you would do is perfectly fine even though some others might not.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I recently started a nano tank, I converted my fluval flex into a saltwater tank. I just want everyone’s thoughts on wether it’s ok to put corals on the back side of live rock. I feel kinda bad cause they’ll be kinda hidden. I recently ordered more frags from TSA due to their Black Friday live sale and I don’t want to over crowd the front cause of course I want to give space for other corals to grow. Do any of you guys put corals closer to the back of your live rock? I attached a photo of my nano so you guys get a better look.

IMG_2658.jpeg
What type of clown is that?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Aquascape so I can look down the side of the tank all the way down the back of the Rock. I have mounted corals back there and eventually they pop over the top so you can see them from the front. It gives it more of a 3D look more natural.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back