Any tips for feeding a very small anemone?

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a BTA earlier this week. Seems to be happy has his foot set, tentacles inflated, just chilling out. It is very small- the foot is a little bigger than a dime. I've been trying to feed it a small piece of krill (1/4 of a small krill) with tweezers, but I seem to have trouble landing the food right on it's mouth since its so small, and it seems to have an issue with getting the food from his tentacles to his mouth; even though it does look like it's trying. Any tips on getting this guy fed? Is there a liquid food I could try?
Because its so small I haven't gotten a clownfish yet as I don't think it will host yet so it's on me to get this thing eating.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't comment on feeding but you're certainly wise to hold off on the clownfish. They can be quite rough with their potential host and a smaller Anemone might not survive the abuse.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a BTA earlier this week. Seems to be happy has his foot set, tentacles inflated, just chilling out. It is very small- the foot is a little bigger than a dime. I've been trying to feed it a small piece of krill (1/4 of a small krill) with tweezers, but I seem to have trouble landing the food right on it's mouth since its so small, and it seems to have an issue with getting the food from his tentacles to his mouth; even though it does look like it's trying. Any tips on getting this guy fed? Is there a liquid food I could try?
Because its so small I haven't gotten a clownfish yet as I don't think it will host yet so it's on me to get this thing eating.
Don't worry about feeding it. They are photosynthetic and will also catch small food particles the way filter feeders do.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patient; Doctor, my arm hurts when I twist it.
Doctor; then don't twist it, it won't hurt.
Ba-da-pa. LOL.

But seriously, don't feed it. Why are you feeding it? Do you feel it needs to be fed for some reason? The only reason why I can think to feed it is if you wanted to split. But it sounds like it's too immature to split anyway. If you really want to feed it, mix up some Coral food and blow that around it with a turkey baster gently. It's sticky tentacles will pick up a lot of that food.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed button sized BTA's powder stuff like Reef Roids or Benereef.

Everyone's tank is different. Some people feed their fish heavy and/or have nems hosting clowns that will bring it food. Some do not. I don't care for the blanket "do not feed" advice frequently given as a result. Your nems might eat regularly without direct feeding. Mine may not.

Provided sufficient lighting, you need not feed at all. But again, everybody is providing differently for their nem. I believe feeding promotes faster growth.

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patient; Doctor, my arm hurts when I twist it.
Doctor; then don't twist it, it won't hurt.
Ba-da-pa. LOL.

But seriously, don't feed it. Why are you feeding it? Do you feel it needs to be fed for some reason? The only reason why I can think to feed it is if you wanted to split. But it sounds like it's too immature to split anyway. If you really want to feed it, mix up some Coral food and blow that around it with a turkey baster gently. It's sticky tentacles will pick up a lot of that food.
I know it can probably survive photosynthesizing and filter feeding, but as it's so tiny I want to see if I can boost its growth. We are a long way off from splitting lol

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed Reef Blizzard to my anemones. They do quite well. Small pellets, you can use one or many depending on the size of your anemone. Here is my anemone, it is doing quite well.

5CC7BD06-6297-4483-BCB5-94161099B05E_1_201_a.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome pic. Maroon's are beasts.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.3%
Back