Any truth to this?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive found this quote and wondered how true it is?

"I'm running the UV for several reasons. For instance, Jay was here a few weeks ago and we went out and collected a whole harem of neons - disease control. All of the coral chemical warfare chemicals are highly sensitive to UV and photo-degrade almost instantly. Most organically bound phosphates are also highly reactive to UV, UV breaks them into ortho-phosphates and they can then be blown off by the skimmer. Water clarity - it's like there's no water in the tank. And a few other reasons too."

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive found this quote and wondered how true it is?

"I'm running the UV for several reasons. For instance, Jay was here a few weeks ago and we went out and collected a whole harem of neons - disease control. All of the coral chemical warfare chemicals are highly sensitive to UV and photo-degrade almost instantly. Most organically bound phosphates are also highly reactive to UV, UV breaks them into ortho-phosphates and they can then be blown off by the skimmer. Water clarity - it's like there's no water in the tank. And a few other reasons too."
It is true that organically bound phosphates are broken down by UV radiation into orthophosphates.

I do not know if that makes it easier for them to be removed by skimming.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of it is totally incorrect. I wouldn't take chemical advice from that person or site.

First off, organic phosphate is not necessarily sensitive to breakdown by UV, but if it were, it makes inorganic phosphate which is definitely not skimmable.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question on this. If I have ich(k) in my tank and it falls off the fish would the uv sterilizer take care of it or no?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question on this. If I have ich(k) in my tank and it falls off the fish would the uv sterilizer take care of it or no?

UV is generally not successful in treating ich because many of the parasites do not pass through the device, even if it is big enough with low enough flow to kill them (which it often is not).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back