Any UV experts in the house?!

robs.mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’m in the process of planning a tank upgrade for a house we are about to start building. I’m buying bits monthly to minimise the financial impact. Part of this months purchases is a UV sterilizer. The system will be approximately 325 (ish) gallons.

Im looking at the 57w Aqua UV unit. The manufacture states that the unit is good for up to 355 gallons. I’m hoping to use this on a rotating schedule (12 hours of each flow via a Vectra S2) for parasite and water clarity.

Does anyone have experience with this piece of equipment?

Do you think it is large enough?

cheers.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think you should be fine . I run my UV on a separate line from a manifold with a shut off valve so that I can control and slow the flow for better contact time with the light .i do run mine 24/7 though and half the size of your tank .

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that is big enough for parasites. It would be fine for clarity though. I think only using it for parasites for 12 hours pretty much defeats the purpose tho. Parasites are already difficult to control through UV alone so cutting it's run time in half... eh. Do not expect much.

I used to have a Aqua UV but switched to a Lifeguard UV. It is like wayyy better and somehow cheaper... which never happens in this hobby. Ha. Worth looking into.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if they've improved any (I doubt it) but my 57W ballasts don't last very long. Something about potting a ballast so it runs very, very hot...

OP
OP
robs.mark

robs.mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all...I’m reading so much conflicting information (not in this thread ) about oversizing and the associated benefits (or lack there of).
I’m based in Australia, so accessibility of a lot of these other units is difficult. Pentair is available, but very expensive, and the 57w unit is the only Aqua UV available.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you have access to it but I have the Lifegard Aquatics Pro UV 90W for my 220 gallon tank. I got it for Dino and it wiped it out in a little over a week.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A UV can do two things. It can polish water (kill algea, bacteria blooms, diatoms and so on) This is higher flow rates and usually what the UV's "size rating" will follow. For this the 57 would work but an 80w would be a better option.

OR it can do parasite control. Which is a MUUUCH slower flow rate that is usually not listed on the box and must be looked up.

If you want actual ich control you will want a 80w minimum running at about 150-200 GPH. For a 300g, I would actually go with a 150w (running at 400 GPH). This is what I run on my 330g.

OP
OP
robs.mark

robs.mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I don't know if you have access to it but I have the Lifegard Aquatics Pro UV 90W for my 220 gallon tank. I got it for Dino and it wiped it out in a little over a week.
Thanks, I’ve actually just found a stockist. I’ll do a bit of reading on this one...

OP
OP
robs.mark

robs.mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A UV can do two things. It can polish water (kill algea, bacteria blooms, diatoms and so on) This is higher flow rates and usually what the UV's "size rating" will follow. For this the 57 would work but an 80w would be a better option.

OR it can do parasite control. Which is a MUUUCH slower flow rate that is usually not listed on the box and must be looked up.

If you want actual ich control you will want a 80w minimum running at about 150-200 GPH. For a 300g, I would actually go with a 150w (running at 400 GPH). This is what I run on my 330g.
Appreciate it. This is the plan as per my first post - run 12 hours slow (for parasite control), then 12 hours fast (for water clarity). I plan to set up a cycle on the Ecotech Vectra to accomplish this.
I think you’re right though - a bigger UV would be better. I like to look of the Lifegard 90.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run the 57W on my 400+/- total water volume and while it does not eliminate ick, I have used it successfully to limit the spread of ick in my tank and polish the water. It is on a manifold so I can tune the water flow. I have a powder blue and achilles which occasionally will show ick spots but have never had a full blown infection nor has it spread to any of the other fish.
I run it 24/7 except when dosing bacteria, when I'll turn it off for a day or so.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to believe , correct me if I’m wrong ,that the 57 watt will do the job if you run the water through it at a slower pace. just leaving it on 24/7 . If only running @100 gallons per hour would mean potentially moving 2400 gallons a day . And by moving the water through at the slower pace you should be able to kill just about anything . Move it through @200 gallons per hour that’s 4800 gallons a day . My point is unless you start with a massive infestation and want to fix it in 5 min then by all means go get a 1000 watt unit and blast them into the universe and beyond ( kidding) overkill is ok but if affects where you can put in or your budget, my opinion is the 57 watt will do the job . As I said before mine runs off the same return pump just routed off a manifold with a valve to control flow . Maybe if you were going to overstock with wall to wall fish then it might be a different story . Again my opinion .

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back