Any way to stop acropora from basing into each other?

Joe's 220 Reef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 27, 2019
Messages
142
Reaction score
114
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I have a 220 gallon reef with numerous acropora. I have tried to leave 6-8 inches between but some are starting to base out like crazy (example Garf bonsai). Is there anyway to prevent basing into each other without killing them. I thought about using putty and either creating a wall that I can break off later as it is encrusted or use putty over a few inches of existing base. Has anyone had success in preventing basing between acropora? If so how?
 
Tagging along as I’m having similar issues.
 
My Garf is base encrusting real crazy also. Was curious if it was ever going to start growing any upward branches??? Hopefully this kickstarts this post...
 
Mine has. I have been using putty on any areas that get too close to each other.
 

Attachments

  • BE30EA17-5B6E-47B4-9E54-2042D3803856.jpeg
    BE30EA17-5B6E-47B4-9E54-2042D3803856.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 123
I think I’ve see a few of the sps dominant reefs using short pieces of pvc to glue on the rock then glue frags to the pvc it prevents the bases from spreading out and increases upwards branch growth if that makes any sense.
 
Epoxy and breaking works well. Eventually coral top grows and shades the base so entrusting stops or decreases.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new