Anybody else find that shrimp are just going to end up annoying?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had previously decided that crabs were almost always annoying in a reef, and I've just about decided that shrimps are the same. I think all of them pretty much end up opportunistic feeders. It's not their fault. They're just doing what they do. However, I think reefers considering them should recognize that pretty much any shrimp could turn into a headache. Amirite?

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a royal gramma to my system a few months ago and it lets my peppermint shrimp and hermit crabs know who is boss.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlike what?
Arent all our livestock opportunistic feeders?
I got into this hobby to have as many cool and fun critters as possible. Find me another critter who will run upside down on the surface of the water to grab a pellet out of my hand?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a love/hate relationship with my tiger pistols for sure.
That is the one that motivated this post. LOL

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never had a cleaner/fire/banded coral go rogue. Peppermints yes. I currently have 5 cleaners, 2 fires and 2 bandeds between 2 tanks and have had even more through out the years without problem. Its very important that you make sure all critters in your tank get fed or they will find food themselves and that when things become problematic. Some individuals might already have a taste for coral or other inverts when acquired but thats extremely rare for these shrimp imo. Emeralds are a great example of this, they will primarily eat algae but once they run out or dont have their preferred algae they will eat anything they get their claws on.

in summary I love shrimp and i stuff my tanks full of them.

Last edited:

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I think cleaner shrimp are adorable, they get into EVERYTHING, so I don't get them anymore.

Though, I think a neat species tank would be a cleaner shrimp tank.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely have had shrimp I hate, like peppermint shrimp. I don't mind cleaner shrimp, or fire shrimp, only thing about fire shrimp is most of them hide all the time. Banded coral shrimp can be helpful in keeping bristle worms in check

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my shrimp and wouldn’t have a tank with out them. I currently have a skunk and a blood red. I don’t have any problems. In the past I had coral banded also. My favorite was and always will be the skunk. Always in your face and on your hand when its in the tank. The others are a little more a recluse and less active. Never had a peppermint shrimp but haven’t heard great reviews.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blood shrimp never ventures far from its cave. I do also target feed it a few times a week. However I had a peppermint shrimp devour a Favia. I realized later the tentacles looked a lot like aiptasia.

AustinBabler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll never have another cleaner shrimp again and once my blue legged hermits all age out I won’t replace them either. They make target feeding corals a huge pain. I feel they do more stressing of the coral then what they’re worth. My fire shrimp looks cool but I think he’d be cooler in someone else’s tank. I’m mainly LPS and soft coral. If I was full blown SPS I wouldn’t care so much I don’t think.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No !!
I’ve never ever had a issue with any shrimp especially the rock shrimp mmmmm !!! Broiled with a little butter Mmm Mmm !!
, :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Kidding but no shrimp are great in my opinion

machliwala

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had cleaner shrimps, peppermint shrimps and coral banded shrimps. No problem with any of them. Love the character of the cleaner shrimp. It's always out trying to coax fish to come in for a cleanup! Also, have large emerald crabs and they havent been an issue. They take care of bubble algae and aiptasia! I dont have any other cleanup crew. Not a fan of urchins and snails. they are more likely to knock over the corals. so i dont have any cleanup crew other than the shrimps and emerald crabs.

I do feed 2-3 times a day a lot with the powerheads off. I think this gives the invertebrates a better chance at the food and makes them less aggressive.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably won’t replace my cleaner shrimp, in a nano climbs all over the corals, I also can’t put any corals on the rock the shrimp mainly hangs out on.

I do enjoy having the shrimp though, I’ll see how I get on without one, might end up replacing it if I miss it too much.

machliwala

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably won’t replace my cleaner shrimp, in a nano climbs all over the corals, I also can’t put any corals on the rock the shrimp mainly hangs out on.

I do enjoy having the shrimp though, I’ll see how I get on without one, might end up replacing it if I miss it too much.
They definitely do that but in my experience it doesnt seem to bother the corals. I've had multiple cleaner shrimp without any issues. They are my favorite because they are not shy and very active.

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had previously decided that crabs were almost always annoying in a reef, and I've just about decided that shrimps are the same. I think all of them pretty much end up opportunistic feeders. It's not their fault. They're just doing what they do. However, I think reefers considering them should recognize that pretty much any shrimp could turn into a headache. Amirite?
ive heard that peppermint shrimp and cleaner shrimp have been pains to people but i had a fire shrimp for about 5-7 years and he was great.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 152 75.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 30 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back