anybody ever have long term success with blue / or black / Whitley boxfish?

Skimmer Juice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start off the blue (male) and black boxfish are my favorite fish, and the only fish I wanted that I have not been able to keep . I have been in the hobby for 14 years now and never had success keeping either fish . Mind you I have not tried one for a long time and they used to come in to the lfs in poor shape . However I have noticed fish were Im from are much healthier than say 6 years ago . Have never had any luck getting them to eat when I did try , no info really out there on these fish for captivity. So I know they are super rare in the hobby long term ,I have only seen 1 tank that had a Blue Box and have yet to see anybody with the black (female) or a Whitley's (scrawled) .

Currently have a pair of yellow boxfish that I have been keeping for a few years now , but those ones are much easier to keep . Was thinking of maybe trying a pair blue (male) Black (female) as I was thinking it might ease the stress at the start , and sometimes maybe if one starts eating it might entice the other to eat .

The Whitley's are very uncommon but have seen them pop up on divers den , and did see 1 at a lfs but it was covered in ich so I knew it was doomed so passed on it . If anybody has any success story's please share with pics if possible , any ideas for food that might be good to try I would appreciate it .
I have tried lots of different food
cyclpos / red and brown
ROE from reef nutrition
Various Mysis with and without selcon
Brine
New Life Spectrum pelets
Reef Frenzy
Krill
The only thing I ever seen one eat in front of me were those tiny feather dusters that normally grow on your sump . But not enough to sustain the fish . Really think they should stop collecting these fish I see so many of them in the stores but never any in peoples tanks . The death rate must be close to %100 in captivity or people who have them never share lol . Im willing to try 1 - 2 more times but hoping I can get a bit more info from somebody who actually has one before doing so . Im not worried about the nuking your tank part that is associated with the bluebox as it they would be by them selves for a while if I do track down a healthy looking pair . Thanks for any input
Blue Box
Black Box
Whitleys

blue-boxfish.jpg

Bizarre-and-Unusual-Animal-Facts.jpg

lg-89348-whitley-boxfish.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't but I have heard that live brine shrimp and black worms are the best ways to get them feeding. You can transition them off live foods once they get settled in.

cmw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male Whitley’s that I have had for close to a year now in ~800g display. It loves pellets/mysis and is doing great. Still looking for a female for him :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are coming in better for sure than they used to.

I have found baby guppies, clams, and snip part of the tail off live ghost shrimp can help get them eating.

I would not house them with any other box or cowfish, as this can have an 'intimidating' effect on them.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi I know this is definitely a late thing to ask on this thread but why is your male Whitley that brown color? I have one too and was wondering because it is a sky blue/brown.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back