Anybody exclusively use orphek bars for lighting?

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about switching from T5’s to 3-4 orphek or3 bars. Do they blend colors well? Is there a disco ball effect or color separation? Is it a flat light like t5 or is there some shimmer? Do you like them/do they grow coral well? Any input is appreciated

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have on my last 75 reef I had 3 daylight bars...do they blend colors well? not really -but raise them about 6" above the tank and it helps..disco ball ? NO ...color seperation? yes but not bad... They grew the HECK out my corals and nems split like crazy...HTH

OP
OP
C

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not buy one or two bars and attach it to your t5? I did that and I like it.
I’m thinking about moving away from t5 altogether because of bulb replacements and I like the idea of a silent fixture. I may just stick with t5 though

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about moving away from t5 altogether because of bulb replacements and I like the idea of a silent fixture. I may just stick with t5 though
My 6 bulb T5 is silent. Just remember that with LEDs there are spectrum loss, and Par loss as time passes. You would need to use a quantum meter for PAR and spectrometer for spectral shifts. Are you really saving on blubs if you have to replace LED every 5 years?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 bulb T5 is silent. Just remember that with LEDs there are spectrum loss, and Par loss as time passes. You would need to use a quantum meter for PAR and spectrometer for spectral shifts. Are you really saving on blubs if you have to replace LED every 5 years?
Nope. My 48 inch fixture with bulbs 200.

OP
OP
C

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not wrong as far as par loss over time for leds. As far as noise goes, people must have different definitions of silent, as they are basically 2 pc fans going at high speeds and can be heard easily if the room is quiet. Or are you running them at a lower setting? I have mine at 6 or 7 I think

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on the fixture when it comes to noise. I have an ATI and it dead silent. I sit 4 feet from the tank. When I do my weekly water change, I shut down everything except for the lights. I still don't hear any noises. Have you thought about replacing the fan? Good luck! :)

bg2311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently using only Orphek OR3s on the frag tank. 120cm (day plus, blue plus, UV/violet).

Our display has 2 blue plus as well that supplement the 4 AI Hydra 26s.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Can someone here comment if OR3 blue added shimmer or just a bit of UV pop?

I have an ATI 8 x54 watt fixture up high slightly dimmed (70% output) and looking for some shimmer for aesthetics without going broke or getting frustrated with Kessils durability. I only saw pop in UV videos. My interpretation is Kessil dense matrix and single point causes shimmer but not sure if lenses on OR3 can do that.

Last edited:

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have on my last 75 reef I had 3 daylight bars...do they blend colors well? not really -but raise them about 6" above the tank and it helps..disco ball ? NO ...color seperation? yes but not bad... They grew the HECK out my corals and nems split like crazy...HTH
A bit of an old bump here, but: what is the color like on the daylight (Reef Day Plus)? Did you have any other lamps on the tank (T5s or other LEDs)?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on the Reef Day Plus? Is this a good color to run in combination with blue plus to avoid an overly blue tank when the main lights are off? Want to supplement halides with 2 OR3 bars, thinking 1 blue and 1 reef day plus?

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would supplement with 2 blue plus. The coverage is fairly thin on or3 bars, you would wind up with different colors in the front and back of your tank if you mix colors.

I squeezed some red sea leds between my halides and use them with blue plus or3 bars for shimmer and whites when the Halides are off.

20211004_131913_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a full sps 210g reef on only OR3 bars for 2.5 years with great results. 6' x 2' x 2' with 150cm bars, 6 of them 4 Reef Day 2 Blue Plus. Could do it with less light.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back