Anybody have those little Asterina stars in their tank? They're reef-safe aren't they?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if it was your coral in your system you would have no doubts. It was a healthy encrusting acro, no other system issues, the star was a large one far as astrina go and it could have been on there a couple days without me noticing but once removed the acro regrew the base. It really couldn’t haven been more cut and dry to me.
It’s your tank, but in the decades I’ve been in the hobby, I’ve never seen an Aquilonastra eat corals (the small 2-8 armed stars that are super common). I have seen some true Asterina stars eat corals, but they’re easily distinguished from the common Aquilonastra, they’re around an inch in diameter. As I said, I’m not doubting you, I’ve just never seen it or seen evidence of it, and would need to see evidence to support the claim.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s your tank, but in the decades I’ve been in the hobby, I’ve never seen an Aquilonastra eat corals (the small 2-8 armed stars that are super common). I have seen some true Asterina stars eat corals, but they’re easily distinguished from the common Aquilonastra, they’re around an inch in diameter. As I said, I’m not doubting you, I’ve just never seen it or seen evidence of it, and would need to see evidence to support the claim.
And I sincerely hope you go decades more without seeing one eat your coral! It’s possible the star was a different species I noticed in my observation it was a bit larger and darker but I wasn’t taking chances after than and added the shrimp.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back