Anybody Still Keep Colonies of Efflo and Soli?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen any in a while, even though I love them. It is this just due to preference, small tanks, or have they all died off? Anybody have an good suggestions on a nice soli to get?

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Greg C Efflo, not much of a colony yet. Probably only 3" across, but a good grower so far. I have a cousin that has an amazing Soli colony however, it's dinner plate size. Nice green color with purplish/blueish tips depending on light you're viewing it under. He swears the polyp color is changing now that it's maturing to a rusty orange.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen any in a while, even though I love them. It is this just due to preference, small tanks, or have they all died off? Anybody have an good suggestions on a nice soli to get?

1YZjkZU.jpg

I have a nice big yellow efflo. I know it’s too big for that rack, moving to a 300g soon. For scale, the plus of the green frag to the right is 3/4 inch. So colony ~6-7” in diameter.

Grown from like 1/2”. Its shape is too perfect to ever frag.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag of Greg C ultimate efflo. No where near a colony, but seems to be growing well so far.

I also received a frag of a Soli from Adam at Battlecorals. Believe he called it Serpentman Soli. Again, still just a frag.

Looking forward to these growing out. Got them under a 250w 14k Phoenix MH.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are beautiful!

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Efflos are in the "love hate camp" and those of us that love them REALLY love them :) I cant get enough personally I once had a pipe dream about keeping one single giant efflo colony in an old 48 x 48 DAS tank i had ages ago. I still think that would be tremendously cool looking.

great looking pics in this thread already!

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have the Greg Carroll, $500, and Serpentman "soli". I love them for a while, but they start getting unmanageable and have to be hacked, which usually brutalizes their aesthetic qualities. Having an aesthetically pleasing tank takes either extremely good planning and timing of coral introductions, or is totally hands off and a few years later everything reaches a balance that just happens to look cool :)

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to do just one, it would be $500... Greg C is really good though. The Greg C might pop a bit more under the black lights or LED, but the $500 is better under straight Halide in my house. You cannot really go wrong with either. Copps has a pure green one that is amazing and a rare color for an Efflo.

This is why I have a 12x3x3 in the garage with 24 inch areas set aside for a few efflos... and for my Blue Squamosas and the Gigas that I will get later on.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a $500 and a rando mariculture efflo. Both have been some of the slower going on growth in the tank and more challenging to get color from. Does the $500 seem to like brutally high light or should I lower it. It’s at the top and very pale compared to most corals in the tank

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know how much they "need," but they can take a whole lot of high quality light. I have had them in the highest light places in my tank at 750+ PAR, but this was MH. They can probably do fine with a lot less. The purples glow more with higher light, IME.

Haxar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small 3 by 3 inch pink tip efflo which I think is a Greg C . The purple tips goes off immediately if parameters goes a bit wayward .

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the pure green one and it is just now starting to form the plate despite being more than 8" across, as well as $500, Greg C and a no name wild

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know how much they "need," but they can take a whole lot of high quality light. I have had them in the highest light places in my tank at 750+ PAR, but this was MH. They can probably do fine with a lot less. The purples glow more with higher light, IME.

That’s helpful. I’ll take actual par readings for the first time ever in this hobby this weekend. My $500 is 6” under the water under an 8x54 watt sunpower

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back