Anybody use an electric toothbrush in their reef tank.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of bubble algea in my tank and some of it is pretty stubborn to dislodge. I was wondering if an electric toothbrush could be the way to go. I could even put it inside a nitrile glove to make it somewhat more water resistant.

I know some people think popping the bubbles will cause it to spread, then how come emerald crabs don't spread it when they pop the bubbles?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of bubble algea in my tank and some of it is pretty stubborn to dislodge. I was wondering if an electric toothbrush could be the way to go. I could even put it inside a nitrile glove to make it somewhat more water resistant.

I know some people think popping the bubbles will cause it to spread, then how come emerald crabs don't spread it when they pop the bubbles?

Just be sure to use your significant other's brush, not your own!

I agree with the thought about why CUC don't spread Valonia like mechanical removal is supposed to. Still, I remove them while siphoning, just to hedge my bets - draining the water around each cell as I pop them and siphon up the pieces.

Jay

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be afraid of the toothbrush not being saltwater proof. The ones I am familiar with have metal parts in the connector and tiny margins where saltwater could creep in and wreak havoc

Not so much a problem with freshwater

Back